Lavasoft Personal Firewall 2.0 ALERT

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dallen, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174825

The above thread mentions the new Lavasoft Personal Firewall 2.0, which I personally think is going to be no better than any of the other substandard products, but that's neither here nor there. The reason I am posting this thread is to bring an issue to the attention of forum members and ask for a thoughtful analysis that I know my fellow members will provide.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) and when I visited the URL that is linked in the above thread titled Product Info I got bombarded with trojan alerts from KIS. What's going on? Has Lavasoft changed hats?

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I went to that site with AVG and both Firefox and IE7 and did not get any warnings.
    SourMilk out

3. dallen

dallen Registered Member

SourMilk,
    Wow. You don't waste any words do you?:)
    Just kidding, but seriously though...thanks for the input. I'm hoping for a false positive because as much as I dislike Lavasoft I would hate to find out that they are either intentionally engaging in malicious activity, or negligently allowing their website to be used maliciously.

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I went to the site with NOD32 and BOclean and got not warnings either. I don't believe that Lavasoft has gone over to the dark side!

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think you should get some feedback from KIS users to see if they get the same trojan alerts or not (I am not one of them BTW). Might possibly be a FP?

6. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

I am using AOL AVS (Based on KAV 6) and get no warnings on that page.

7. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I got no warnings from my KIS.

I'm willing to bet it was some sort of strange false positive and that Kaspersky has since fixed it.

8. sucilee

sucilee Registered Member

will have a try, thanks

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just tried the site with no alerts from KIS.

Pete

10. bonnieville

bonnieville Registered Member

dallen same thing happened to me when i went there. kas went nuts with alerts. tks. frank.

11. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I just visited the website while using McAfee 2007 Suite - No alerts or warnings...

Rob

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

13. bonnieville

bonnieville Registered Member

yup. left the site after those three. frank.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

All quite with AntiVir PE Premium.

15. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

Hmm I wonder why it did that for you and Bonnieville, but not for the others of us who went there with KIS installed.

Rather odd....

What do you have your web antivirus set to? Mine's high because well I'm paranoid.

16. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Are you using the latest Kaspersky with the heuristics enabled? If so, that may be part of the problem, as I have gotten a lot of false alerts from KIS 7.0 since I've been using it. However, I also have heuristics enabled and went to the site - not a peep from KIS. I even tried it with IE (which I never use) and still received no warnings. I don't have the KIS settings on high, however, due to the number of FP's on that setting. Kaspersky still needs work on the heuristics end, IMHO. Maybe turn off heuristics or set them to a lower setting, go back to the site, and see if you receive the same alerts. If it was truly malware, the regular AV signatures should also flag it.

17. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am using KIS version 6.0.2.621 with all of the latest updates and most of the settings are left to default.

How do I check if the heuristics are enabled?

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats in the 7.0 versions. You could go to the forum (I can't get there right now) go to the 7.0 beta and then to the faq and download KAV 7.0 build 119rc3. It will work with your commercial key. It has the heuristics.

Pete

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have to agree looks like a KIS issue or else their server is being occasionally compromised but i think that's a real stretch of an assumption IMO.

My box is a virtual sensory trap with HIPS and a Behavioral Blocker here and there and i notice nothing out of the ordinary for alarm.

NOTE: I DO NOT employ any AV whatsoever nor need to. My system is FULLY monitored with alternative methods for detecting ANYTHING that would try to signal the O/S internals including the obvious landing strips like TIF's, C:\ Folder etc. If anything potentially malicious penetrates, i know about it immediately and see it with my own eyes and not just a warning prompt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.