Lavasoft Adaware SE

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kevvyb2005, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevvyb2005

kevvyb2005 Registered Member

I think I have just discovered that adaware se was seriously slowing down my browser (IE6). I thought it was my connection!!!

Uninstalling it has speeded up browsing no end. What can I use instead that will not have this effect. I already have the following, do I need anything else?

Hardware firewall
    ZA free
    ESET NOD32
    IEspyad defs installed into IE
    Spywareblaster defs loaded
    Windows Defender running

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Real time? Superantispyware.
    Free on demand? Superantispyware!!

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

People will tell you you don't need an anti-spyware in realtime with your antivirus, but you can have it along with it and I truely feel it is needed for a nice layered security setup! I will have to say get Superantispyware Pro to have in realtime with your other security software, it's so light you won't even notice it's there, the free version is great too if you just want that!:D

Also look into Comodo Firewall Pro to replace ZA Free, you might just like it better:)

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Often running two (or more) of any category of application can cause conflictions and slowdowns, and in many cases you can not run more than 1, attempted installation of a second just won't work.
    I assume you were using the resident version (realtime shield) of AdAware.
    In your case you are already using Windows defender, another antispyware. Try disabling that and using Adaware and see if the problem still occurs.
    If it doesn't, that was likely the reason.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Yes

Keep the Hardware Firewall and get rid of the other programs. Replace IE with Firefox and no scripts.

If you want to buy something take a look at DeepFreeze
    http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

Even if something bad gets on - which is not likely if you use common sense - it will be gone at the next reboot.

Still worried ? - run an occasional on demand scan.

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

If you are running any other antispyware in realtime, get rid of windows defender.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Your setup is fine if your a safe surfer. I would try disabling Defender and running Ad-Aware just to see if the 2 were conflicting with each other. I'd say that both are about equal protection wise, but there are better anti-spywares/malwares out there. Do yourself a favor and download SuperAntiSpyware and run it on demand to be sure that the slowdown wasn't a malware related problem. Also, do give FireFox2 a try with the NoScript extension. You can keep your IE6 and use FireFox also. Later if you decide to use FireFox as your default browser, you can easily do so. You can also uninstall FireFox if you really hate it. FireFox also allows you to easily transfer your favorites. By the way, I don't work for Mozilla or Firefox. Lol

What version of Windows are your running?

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Where concerns Lavasoft SE or 2007 i can only add this little tidbit for any who might comprehend the message. There is long since been a HUGE missing link.

:D IAMSKINZ :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.