Latest TI 9.1 Workstation cannot see Dell Inspiron 1501 HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by StephenDone, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenDone

StephenDone Registered Member

I have just taken delivery of a new Dell Inspiron 1501 with Vista Basic. Drive is 80 Gig. Processor is AMD Sempron Mobile.

After letting Windows Update do its thing, I am trying to take a base image of the machine...

Whether I boot with a USB stick or a CD, when I select Create Backup of whole disk, TI 9.1 says it cannot find a hard drive in the system.

I can boot with a WIN98SE bootable USB stick. This allows me to use an FDISK app to view the hard drive. AEFDISK reports the drive as 76316MB. So the drive is definitely accessible when the laptop has been booted from USB, though TI cannot see it.

I am guessing it's a disk controller chipset that TI doesn't yet recognise, but that's probably just my oversimplified view of the problem!

Where do I go from here ?

Best regards

Steve

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello StephenDone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

This issue could be related with lack of drivers in the standalone version of Acronis True Image. Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In order to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible solution we would need some additional information.

First of all, please try booting your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the latest build 3887 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Provide the exact vendor and model of the hard drive controller and hard drives you use.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. StephenDone

That gave the same result.

btw, the doc on how to save to USB isn't right for V9.1. It says hit F11 when you see 'Starting Acronis Loader'. But you have to remove quiet and run full version on 9.1 as in thread 55317. But anyway, I got past that bit by reading on a bit further in thread 678565 instead...

Trying to mount the USB stick gives 4 different errors depending on how I do it.
    If I use -t auto and mount disc, I get FAT: Bogus logical sector size.
    If I use -t auto and mount part1, I get nls_cp437.o: no module by that name found
    If I use -t vfat and mount disc, I get FAT: Bogus logical sector size.
    If I use -t vfat and mount part1, I get Unknown error 16

The help doc says to mount the disc, but I tried mounting the partition too, since that makes more sense to me.

The stick is formatted as fat32. I checked in windows. I made it bootable and got Acronis to boot from the stick, so it was definitely able to mount it to boot from. However, I can't manage to mount it rom the shell.

I tried a second USB stick from a different manufacturer. Same errors.

The laptop has no floppy drive and I don't think I can mount the hard drive to save it there.

Can you tell me how to get past the mount problem, then I'll be able to save the sysinfo file, I'm sure. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have a similar problem to the guy in this thread, who can't mount his floppy drive...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=152893

Best regards

Steve

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello StephenDone,

Please issue the following command before the mount command:

insmod usb-storage.o

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. StephenDone

That gives the message:
    Code:
    A module named usb-storage.o already exists

So the module is already loaded. Anything else I can try ?

Best regards

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.