Lastpass: Premium users can choose to host their site data in Europe

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tlu, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

I got the update to v. 3.1.0 today. The release notes mention (among other things):

More info is given here:

So they're finally reacting on concerns of their international customers regarding the NSA surveillance. Good move :thumb:

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Unfortunately Europe can't be trusted either.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

No, not "Europe". The situation is different in the various countries. But the situation in, e.g., Germany is definitely better than in the U.S.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Better to what degree? Don't get me wrong, I do buy services from Europe more than U.S. But this is for me just a matter of principle. I highly doubt that any country in Europe will allow such honeypot service like Lastpass to have complete protection from intelligence services.

Look what Germany did after their Chancellor Angela Merkel's phone was tapped by the United Kingdom and U.S. They did absolutely nothing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

I agree no place can be trusted but I like the lastpass move of having servers in europe, they generally do not co-operate with law in regards to privacy and data however yes if push comes to shove anything can happen as we all know.

Still its a nice option for last pass to have this, as a general thumb rule if your using something that could be a honeypot like some believe lastpass is then don't risk putting anything too sensitive or critical or don't use it even.

Its a bit like when people suggest hotmail/google are bad honeypots, if you have to use it take precautions, rar/zip and encrypt and password them and then upload them.

What are these offenders going to do at most? spend 400 years trying to crack your zip only to find a recipe on making chocolate cookies...

My ghost would appear and ill be clapping and cheering them on :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.