Last Volume Invalid

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by grd, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grd

grd Registered Member

Yesterday I used first time TI Ver 6.0, build 350, with Win XP SP1, and have built image from one partition directly onto 700MB CD-R, total 8 volumes.
    To verify that all went well, i opened volume 8 for restore, but got the message
    "This is not the last volume...".
    I repeated image building directly to HD (with 700MB size of files), and all was
    working well.
    Investigation of CD with volume 8, Nero 6 shows 2 sessions, first with 322 MB, the size of 8th tib-File, second session with 2 MB.
    Trying to copy the file with explorer resulted in an error message "DOS failure, file cannot be copied" at the end of copying.
    Comparing to the good 8th tib-File on HD, there are some differences, especially at file's end.
    What went wrong, how can i assure that future images are built correctly
    (i have not the place on HD to save image of all partitions...) ?

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Interesting question. I have never imaged directly to CD. Let me do a quick test and report back to you.

3. MiniMax

In this test, I used True Image 6.0 (#350) to image a 2 GB FAT32 partition directly onto 2 CD-RW's. I erased the CD-RW using Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.5.10v (erased as in blanked the discs, no UDF formatting, no DirectCD writing).

I put the compression level at 0, resulting in an estimated image size of 1,12 GB, which ensured that both CD-RW's would be required.

The imaging process went well, with True Image asking and waiting for each CD-RW. Examing the resulting CD-RW's with IsoBuster revealed the following:
    Code:
    CD-RW #1
    --------

Session 1
        Track 01
          VolumeTest1.tib 655.73 MB / 687,581,184 bytes

CD-RW #2
    --------

Session 1
        Track 01
          VolumeTest2.tib 655.73 MB / 687,581,184 bytes

Session 2
        Track 02
          VolumeTest2.tib 489.84 MB / 513,636,352 bytes

I am not sure how to interprete the session info. Do True Image 6.0 start out by reserving space for a total of 655 MB (a full CD?), and then, when it runs out of data on CD-RW #2, shorten the file??

In order to Plug (Explore) the image, I intended to copy both sub-images to my hard disk. I started copying VolumeTest2.tip with Explorer, but when about 80% of the copying was done, I got this error message:

An error occured during the copy operation of the file or the directory
    It is not possible to copy VolumeTest2: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check failure)
    Tried to copy with CMD.EXE and COPY - same error.

Rebooted WinXP into Safe Mode and tried to copy - same error.

Rebooted into MS-DOS, but DOS and the real-mode driver was not even able to see the file. All I saw on the CD-RW was a file called "JOLIET.FS" ?!?

Rebooted into Win95 and tried to copy - same error.

The first volume looked better (it only had one session), but a copy of VolumeTest1.tip resulted in the same cyclic redunancy error o_O

Tried using IsoBuster to extract a raw image of the first volume with VolumeTest1.tib: Got an "Unreadable sector" sector error - again approximately 80% into the fileo_O

As I write this, I am re-formatting both CD-RW's for packet writing. When done, I intend to try out the imaging process again. I have a feeling it will not succeed, because True Image should not require (or be able to cope) UDF -formatted CD-RW's when writing its images.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello MiniMax,

The following have been known to interfere with TI's ability to write to CD:

- Roxio DirectCD/Drag-to-Disk. If they're running then shut them down.
    - Windows Media Player. If it's running then shut it down.
    - Windows XP's built in drag-and-drop recording feature. Open "My Computer", right click on your CD/DVD buner, select "Properties" and then the "Recording" tab. Uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive".

Regards

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  5. MiniMax

Thanks Menorcaman - I will certainly try in order to pin-point the cause of this little mysterium.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.