Last.fm web player (flash) been blocked by IMON. Ignore list doesn't work

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Thorz, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Hello

I have sendt this using the online support form (please read my feedback about this TOTALLY INSECURE FORM below) but I am also posting it here.
    Thanks in advance.

Ihave NOD32 2.7 totally updated. I am using XP pro SP2 with IE 7.0 fully updated.

I use www.last.fm and their webpage has a flash player component that you can use to play previews of tracks.

Even after adding last.fm and www.last.fm to the SERVERS compatibility setup of IMON it is still interfering and the web player cannot connect. I just get this message from the flash web player:
    "Oops! We had a problem connecting".

I can confirm that IMON is intercepting the MP3 preview because on the IMON status I can read:
    "File: http://kingpin3,last.fm/preview/1007311.mp3".
    If I disable IMON or if I set iexplore.exe in "higher compatibility" mode it works ok, but I don't want to do this. This should work just adding last.fm to the ignore server list, for that IMON bypass the hole server. I want IE on "higher efficiency".
    Could you check this?
    Thanks a lot.

PS/: How can the online support form page not be encrypted?
    http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php
    You are asking for the NOD32 username and password through a clear text connection. This is totally insecure! Please contact me via email. I will send you my username and password via a more secure channel if you want.

Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

Nothing to check , this is streaming media and you cannot use HE mode because there is no way for this to work

This is from NOD32's help file:
    I don't know why this didn't work , probably you input something wrong , but programs in Higher compatibility are really secure because AMON is the most part . Should IMON misses something (this can always happen in all modes) , AMON will immediately pick it up .

If you have already contacted Eset , you'd better continue with them :thumb:

3. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

The info that you give me is 100 times more accurate than the silly response I have already got from ESET. I appreciate your answer. Thanks a lot.

I have re-check the names of the servers and they are ok. I mean, if I add last.fm to the list IMON has to bypass everything that has that domain no? The streaming servers have names like kingpin5.last.fm (with different numbers), IMON should bypass them.

I am pretty disappointed by the answer given by ESET. The technician didn't even bothered to read my message! Look at part of their answer:

EDIT: Rest of the email removed after petition from a mod. I just leave this small quote for keeping the sense of the post.

Totally rubbish since as you all can see I had already posted about this procedure and that of course disabling IMON lets the stream play ok, but I am not interested on totally disabling IMON, I just want that it ignores everything coming from last.fm servers, that is the point with the server list, or have I misunderstood something here?

Thanks.

Oh, and he didn't even commented about the insecure support form that ask for username and password! :thumbd: :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Thorz,

From your first post I can see that the server you would need to be added as compatible is 'kingpin3,last.fm' and I guess there is a series of them to share load.

HTH

Cheers :)

5. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Hi NOD32 user.

I was coming to post that I have found a solution to this. As you point out in your post kingpin3.last.fm is one of the servers they are using, and I have already added it to the ignore list, but as you said they are using a pool of servers, not just one. What i have done is adding 9 servers, starting with kingpin1.last.fm and ending with kingpin9.last.fm. After trying the webpage I found that this fixed the issue.

What is estrange is that normally when I filter things in other programs I use the root of the domain and this automatically covers everything that is a part of that domain, that is why I used last.fm on the list and I was bewildered when IMON was still interfering! Well, it looks that IMON needs indeed the precise names of the machines on the list, if the hole name is not used then it doesn't filter it.

I think the behavior of filtering the hole domain if you need could be added, but it appears that ESET is dropping IMON on the next NOD32 though:

EDIT: Rest of the email removed after a petition from a mod. Just left this small quote for keepen sense on the post.

Well, I don't know what to think about this. I have always liked IMON. I know it has interfered in the past with applications like Google Desktop and maybe others, but these problems have been fixed. But that can be the topic for a hole new thread.

What is funny is that ESET Customer care could not give me a satisfactory answer to my question at all. Telling me "disable IMON that it will be dropped on a next version anyway" is not a satisfactory answer, because there was a correct answer, that at the end was really simple:

"Use the hole name of the machine you want to filter, the filtering doesn't recognize domain names at the moment"

The only thing that resembles an answer on their email is this line:

Sorry ESET, I don't understand what the support technician mean with this.

What I have discovered is that this forum can be much more helpful than to email ESET support, at least on this case.

Thank you very much everyone.

UPDATE:
    ESET was quick to fix the security problem of their online form. maybe it was just a glitch. It now has encryption and a certificate. That was VERY fast answer after I emailed them on that yesterday. Thanks for that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  6. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

No Problems with last.fm and NOD32 2.5 and 2.7, neither with ie nor firefox or opera... nothing changed or added in imon...

are u sure that is is a nod problem?

regards

7. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive the subscription email.
    The problems are on the web flash player, not the flash.fm desktop application. Adding all the servers to the IMON list fixes everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.