Large Video Card & SATA Ports

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rainwalker, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

My IPIBL-LA (Berkely) MOBO has six SATA ports. I am thinking of dropping in a GTX 260 card, but the back side of the card conflicts with the two SATA ports that I am using. One for HD and one for smart cards/compact cards etc. Those in use are #1..Black and #2..White. The ports not being used are #3..Red, #4..Light Blue, #5..Dark Blue, and #6..Yellow. The video card will fit my case if I move the two SATA cables from ports #1 & #2 to ports #5 & #6. Can I do this without messing something up ?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You can use what ever SATA ports are available. Or, grab a few of these for example.

May have the same problem on my new build. Have a few of the 90 degree cables tucked away just in case.

3. Rainwalker

Thought about the 90-Degree-Angled, but I am thinking they won't work as I am expecting there still would not be enough clearance. So I can use ANY SATA port ? I believe that some pull more power then others.........no?

4. ThunderZ

All SATA ports have the same power available. You may be thinking of the amperage available to USB ports.

5. Rainwalker

OK....Great news...Thank you ThunderZ.

6. ThunderZ

:thumb:

As long as you have not disabled any SATA channels in BIOS you are good to go.

Be aware that your first boot may be a little slower the usual as the new connections are detected. But should be no problems beyond that. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.