Large TI image D/L DVD burning software?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by smallpotato, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallpotato

smallpotato Registered Member

What D/L DVD burning software do you use to burn large TI images (over 4GB) and why?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You need to think in advance if you will want to burn an image to DVDs later. Then, when making the image, select the split size that is appropriate.

For CD-Rs, split the image at 700MB.

For DVD's, on a FAT32 hard drive which has a maximum 4GB file size, split the image at 1492MB (easy date to remember, and 3 pieces will just fill a DVD) or 2240MB (two will fit on each DVD). On an NTFS hard drive, the file can be split at the 4.7GB DVD option.

You can use any burning software that came with your CD or DVD burner to burn the files to blank CDs or DVDs.

3. smallpotato

I replied to this post and it forgot I was logged in and wiped out everything I typed... :thumbd: Have to retype again -but I'll CTRL-C it this time.

Thanks for the info jmk94903. Although I should have been more precise in my request on burning software recommendations.

I am looking for burning software that can handle Dual Layer or D/L or DVD9 media. These are larger than normal size DVD±R's. D/L DVD±R's will hold 8.5GB.

I have a Nero Express 6/OEM StartSmart Suite disc that was pitched into my burners box. I really hate the lack of documentation (only a .chm file for a "User's Guide") or support for this castrated software, though it is to be expected. Therefore I inquire as to what software everyone likes to use to burn large .tib files -without splitting them up.

Any people burning Dual Layer yet out there?!? What software are you using and Why?

4. smallpotato

If it's OK I'd like to bump this thread up as days are going by and I need to find a viable 3rd party D/L DVD+R burning software program to work in conjunction as required by Acronis' True Image 9. Links for this Nero Express 6/StartSmart OEM Suite that explain in-depth more than what their .chm fails to convey re: burning particulars with D/L media would be great. Though I would be more than happy to download freeware/demo software from ANY useful software company that will allow me to transfer my large 6GB .tib from my HDD to my Dual Layer DVD+R disc without splicing or dicing the original image and packaging it in their own way. Ideas? Acronis? Help!

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Can't you just burn it with Nero Express. I have version 6.6.0.9 bundled that I got with a drive and on the lower right side of the screen where the files to be burned are displayed there is a place to select dvd5 or dvd9. Won't this do it?

6. smallpotato

seekforever - I'm not sure where/what you're talking about in Nero Express. My version is 6.6.0.17 for Nero OEM according to the program.

I'm really not familiar with this software, but last time I attempted to burn my 6GB .tib file from my HDD to my D/L DVD+R media Nero chopped up the file and put it in a directory on the disc. In other words, Nero made a coaster that TI cannot use, but that Nero is happy with. Good for Nero, Bad for True Image and Bad for me.

I'm looking for procedures/steps/any documentation for this program beyond the shoddy .chm "User's Guide". Links would help immensely.

Acronis requiring 3rd party burning software for their own software to function is hindering my objective. If I didn't pay $3 per D/L disc then I would just proceed with trial and error, burning coasters left and right while I figured out this Nero OEM/Express.

Beside which, most manuals and documentation with screenshots/steps focus on the complete product, not some chopped-up Lite or Express version.

I've already installed this Nero OEM and know from past experience that it's typically not recommended to have numerous burning software installed as there can be conflicts. So I would like to make the best of this Nero OEM and try to make it work, yet I suspect I'll be uninstalling it/tinkering with the registry just so that I can get some other burning software loaded to attempt to get this .tib onto disc.

7. smallpotato

Doing more googling and poring over hundreds of posts on many other sites I found some information that may or may not be applicable to burning large (over 2GB) files.

Apparently ISO doesn't allow for writing files over 2GB. Yet if that is the case then I wonder how commercial movies are produced on DVD. Also, there has been conjecture about using UDF packet burning to accomplish this yet it seems that Dual Layer DVD±R media would not work.

Any useful input from Acronis/somebody about how I should get my 6GB non-compressed .tib from my HDD to my Dual Layer DVD+R disc would be Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.