Laptop with external USB CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gmb1994, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmb1994

gmb1994 Registered Member

My laptop does not have a functional CD/DVD player, so I have attached one via USB. What do I need to know before continuing with cloning a new disk? Will there be any problems with the laptop or Acronis using the external USB CD/DVD?

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Try it and see.

I presume you are going to use the external CD/DVD to boot with the Acronis Recovery CD, then you'll clone your internal hard drive to a new hard drive mounted in a second bay or on the external USB2 bus in an external enclosure?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gmb1994,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

There is no reason to expect any problems of Acronis True Image 8.0 working with your external USB CD\DVD drive.

However, as bobdat has said, the best way to figure out is to try it.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If you have not purchased the software yet then please download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0.

You can try the following:

- Run Acronis True Image 8.0 from under Windows and see how it recognizes your external USB CD\DVD drive;

- Try to create Bootable Rescue CD;

- Try to boot your PC from this CD and see how it works;

- See how Acronis True Image 8.0 recognizes your external USB CD\DVD drive when booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

Please let me know if you will face any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.