Laptop whine with wireless USB mouse

Discussion in 'hardware' started by xMarkx, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion dm4 with an Intel Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz. It has been working fine since I got it last christmas. Yesterday, I decided to buy a wireless mouse (the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000) so that I wouldn't have to use the touchpad anymore. However, I noticed a high pitched whine coming from the laptop after I started using the mouse. I've noticed that the whine only occurs when the receiver for the wireless mouse is plugged in to the laptop's USB port. When I unplug it, the whine disappears within a few seconds. I don't normally have any other USB devices plugged into the computer.

The whine is quite annoying (I have sensitive ears, too). Is there anything that I can really do about it? I have tried plugging the mouse into different USB ports (the laptop has 4) without any luck. Is the problem the mouse or the laptop?

Thanks

2. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

It could be either one. I have heard of whining laptops and whining mouses, so nothing particularly new here. However, you should try to narrow it down.

There has been no USB devices connected before this mouse? Try to borrow another USB mouse and atleast one other USB device, and test if the noise goes away. If not, the problem is your computer. It may be related to "harmless" high-pitched sound coming from certain CPUs. It may also mean hardware problems, in which case you should get the computer repaired.

If the noise does go away, it's time to test the mouse in an another computer. If the problems persists, RMA the mouse. If not, you have a true mystery in your hands.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I did some more testing like you suggested. I plugged the receiver for the wireless mouse into my desktop, and I could not hear anything, although the desktop is noisier than the laptop. I plugged in a USB stick into the laptop and didn't hear anything. I plugged in a corded mouse (the one that is normally used for my desktop) into the laptop and also didn't hear anything. After doing all this I plugged the wireless receiver back into the laptop and confirmed the whine is still occuring.

What should I do now?

Thanks,

Mark

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I had what might be a similar issue. I couldn't close the cover on my laptop without getting a whining noise. I would have to suspend it or shut it down. I corrected it by lowering the microphone volume control.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Do you have Bluetooth enabled? If this is a Mouse with the USB dongle, disable Bluetooth unless you use it for other hardware, that should fix it!

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

LenC and DVD+R,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately my laptop didn't come with Bluetooth. I tried playing with the microphone settings, including muting it entirely, but the high pitched whine continues to persist.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will try another brand wireless mouse and if that,s OK, replace with that one.

8. axial

axial Registered Member

Logitech now have a great little USB "stub" on many of their mice, trackballs, and keyboards, called a "unifying receiver". It's great for using on a laptop because it only extends a bare 1/2 inch so it's not easily knocked or dislodged. It's so small that on a regular desktop the stub is almost too small for easy removal. Many (not all) of the mice also have an interior "storage compartment" for housing the little stub during travel.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Probably the notebook has a low USB voltage. I had a similar problem with too many USB devices connected, I solved it with an USB hub powered by a standalone adapter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.