laptop usb image backup/validation/mounting question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

My laptop has ati 9.1 it backups the entire hd (image) but upon verification I get corrupt data. Usb 2.0 external hd. However, I can mount this "corrupt" image and go all the way to "proceed" when I try to restore it to my c: drive from the external hd.

Does this mean, notwithstanding that the validation told me the image was corrupt I could in fact have a restorable imageo_O??

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I'm afraid it doesn't.

In particular, your being able to go through the Rescue Wizard without Proceeding doesn't mean a lot, in my opinion, and mounting the image is not a definitive check either. I would not restore that image for real.

In a previous post you stated that images stored on the same external validate if created from the desktop and fail to validate if created from the laptop. Therefore, I think you should investigate the laptop-external pair. Running chkdsk C: /r on the laptop's HD; creating an image to the internal HD itself (space permitting) and validating the image on the laptop, then copying the image to the external and validating the copy or comparing the checksums of the two image files. Testing the memory on the laptop with Memtest86+ for at least a couple of hours (zero errors should be reported) would make sense too.

3. max0071

Thanks for the response bVolk however, I went to the checksum site (as you had previously suggested) there are two programs , which one should I use?

I used the "simple" one and it would not tell me anything. Could get it to check out my c: drive, I guess the answer is obvious the more elaborate program is the one I should try. I will do as u suggest, keep in mind a relative newbie so I appreciate your responses and try to work this out. thnx

4. max0071

I have no idea how this "advanced checksum verifier" works...........i tried but I guess its beyond me........many warnings........bah....thanks anyways.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again max0071,

Now I see that seekforever aready advised on the same line.

The checksum calculator I use is part of a more complex program I had to pay for (CDCheck). I'm pretty certain you'll find free checksum calculators if you google the net.

You run the calculator and select a file. The calculator will calculate an MD5 or CRC checksum for that file. It will store it in another file in the same folder and inside that file you will find a hexadecimal string of numbers and letters. Then you do the same for the copied file and the strings for the two files should match if the files are identical as they should be.

But try with the Memtest86+ first. Seekforever gave you the link for that one too. You will find instructions for how to create a floppy with the file you download and then check the memory by booting from the floppy. Run the check with default options, best overnight. Anything more than zero errors points to a faulty RAM.

To check the laptop's HD integrity go to Start>Run> type "cmd.exe" (no quotes) then OK. In the command line screen that appears type "chkdsk C: /r" (no quotes, mind the space) and Enter. You will have to reboot for the check of C: to start. Repeat that for partition D: if you have one; this time the check will run without rebooting. Don't worry if checkdisk seems to have stopped somewhere towards the end of the scan, just wait for it to end.

6. max0071

Wow.........I'll do my best..........I do appreciate your help........but I'm somewhat of a computer idiot, so I'll try it .......... gulp...thanks

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

A follow-up.

Easier still... if your C: drive is less than half full, you can create an image of it storing the image file on C: itself. It works. Ignore the TI warning about how unsafe it is to keep the image on C:, you will be just testing.

If the image stored on C: validates, then perhaps your internal disk and memory are sound and it is the laptop's motherboard that doesn't work well with that particular external HD. But before jumping to that conclusion you should repeat this test a few times, deleting the image file from C: before creating a new image.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  8. max0071

Much easier............THANKS

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You are welcome max0071.

Others will help you while I'll be sleeping. :D

10. max0071

I backed up c: to c: and the backup AND the validation both completed successfully, I did it twice.........yipiiiii.

I read sometime ago a thread where someone had the same issue and purchased a usb pc card for their laptop and that seemed to solve the problem for them. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Don't know why that would work but it seems to have worked for others.

11. max0071

TOO LATE.............grrrrrrrrrr..........just lost everything on my laptop c: and no valid image.........i'm screwed

12. max0071

Some people claim that getting a pc usb card solves the problem........was going to do that tomorrow.......but guess what........i'm screwed today. No valid image........what a chore!!!!

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Couple off-topic posts removed - keep in mind this is the Acronis support forum.

14. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again max0071,

Tell us what happened. Give us details.

If it's your posts that were removed, keep in mind that threads where the Moderator is forced to intervene are not popular on this forum and we want to have second opinions.

Edit: Never mind, found your story in the other thread you started.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  15. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hi bVolk,
    Here is some input as it relates to the discussion. With this same problem, I've been able to successfully back up, validated, and restored from a partion of the laptop's internal disk. I've also been able to backup to, validate, and restore from a 3.5" external HDD. I've thus far been unable to back up to the 2.5" external HDD. After copying the image to the 2.5", I've not been able to validate that image. And Here is the real kicker: If, say, I lose the original image from the internal back up partition and I try to copy the image back from the 2.5"HDD, I won't be able to do this because after copying a couple chunks of the image (which is split into 4.3GB chunks), I'm given the error message:
    "An error occurred copying "LaptopCImage3.tib": The system can not find the specified file"

My most recent adventure with this was trying to switch the enclosure. I bought another one from a different manufacturer, hoping that with a different chip, I might have better luck. After plugging the thing in, a horible burning smell freaked me out to no end. Luckily it was just a new-chip burnin thing. After I got the drive to work and all, I found the same exact problems.
    My current state with respect to this backing up thing is NOT GOOD. While backing up works with my 3.5" HDD, I can't take it with me everywhere. But I've no luck with a 2.5" just yet.

16. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi eniqmah,

Let me stress it again: be careful with those USB-powered externals. If they have a double USB connection, don't run them single wired - not even for a test. It's the starting current that's too high, especially if you equipped it with a high RPM drive. We had someone reporting here that he put out of commission all the USB ports on the computer after fitting such a USB-powered enclosure with a power-hungry drive.

I'm very much afraid that the smell you noticed wasn't just an innocuous burning in of some chip. You are bound to feel the consequencies later, though I will be very happy if it turns out that I had been wrong.

17. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

bVolk,
    Thanks for your concern sir. I have removed the drive and put it back into the older enclosure. Indeed the smell of burning silicon is not to be taken lightly and I've packed up the enclosure for return. The drive has been operating fine with 1 usb prong. I believe the 2nd one is supplied in the event that users connect a faster, more power intensive drive such as its 7200 RPM version. In any event, I'll do a little research on this since you've sufficiently worried me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.