Laptop Unexpectedly Goes into Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I tpyically leave my laptop turned on overnight. Occasionally (and it is getting more frequent), I find it in sleep mode in the morning.

Some facts:

1) My power settings indicate "never" for any actions - sleep,hibernate, shut down etc.

2) I'm not losing power. My clock radio (in the same outlet) has correct time in the morning -it's not blinking. Also when I bring it out of sleep mode, my battery is at 100%.

Today, i walked away from my laptop and it was in sleep mode when I returned just 30 minutes later. When I tried to take it out of sleep mode, it just shut down completely. I turned it on and it shutdown again. It booted up properly on third try.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,
    Len

2. axial

axial Registered Member

I had erratic behavior like that when my laptop's battery was failing. You might want to check the mfg's website to see if there are any recalls on the battery, there was on my Sony Vaio last year. I believe I saw another big recall affecting several other mfg, incl HP, I think, just a few days ago.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Axial -

Thanks for the reply. This is happening to me when the computer is on ac power. Did it happen to you when you were on battery or when you were on AC?

4. axial

axial Registered Member

I'm not sure whether it was on the battery or powered, sorry -- I just remember it happened at incredibly inconvenient times.

I came across some interesting threads doing a google on "laptop sleep erratic hibernate" -- this one in particular; be sure to read the comments and follow the update links at the bottom, as there seem to be a multitude of culprits.

http://www.superwasp.net/weblog/2007/04/fix-how-to-solve-your-windows-vista.htm

also:
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_hibernate.htm#Troubleshooting_Vista_Hibernate_Sleep

which makes a good suggestion to check the event viewer which may give you info on what triggered the sleep.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Here's an update - things move slowly in the corporate world:D

Our IT department gave me an identical laptop (Thinkpad T60) and swapped my hardrive into the replacement laptop. The replacement is working perfectly with no shutdowns, sleeping oranything else. So this eliminated the possibility it might be software related or some time of system corruption.

I believe they plan to replace the motherboard on the original computer.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Len

6. axial

axial Registered Member

Score one for the IT guys, great to hear they came through and (it sounds like) without needing tons of troubleshooting components or o/s first.

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

IT is great - just get it fixed ASAP and move on to the next person's crisis du jour. Not an easy job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.