Laptop question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by C.S.J, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok techies....

is this a good laptop to buy?

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Intel® Core™2 Duo T8100 Processor
    4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
    320GB SATA Hard Drive
    512MB nVidia GeForce 9500M GS (DX10)
    16" WXGA CrystalBrite Widescreen LCD
    16:9 Aspect Ratio
    Blu-Ray ROM Player / Dual Layer DVD Writer
    Intel 4965AGN Wireless LAN
    Built in Webcam
    Multi-Format Card Reader
    Built in BlueTooth,HDMI Connectivity
    Acer CineDash Media Console with touch- Sensitive Inetrface
    Bio Protection Finger Print Recognition

would it be able to play all the latest games too?
    and what would the general peformance be?

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Everything seems cool on that machine, specs wise, although I`d check for comments from Acer users. I got rid of my Acer after 2 weeks...not the same specs as the one you are talking about, but close. Maybe this one has a better consumer report. That`s all I can tell ya.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how much?
    just to say Acer laptop comes with a recovery partition instead of a reinstall CD.
    so if you want to easily restore back to defaults create a backup using imaging software before using it.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i had an acer laptop before the one i have now, which is a dell.

£900 Lodore, worth it?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Chris
    seems like a bargain compared to similar priced laptops with similar spec ive just looked at. I done a quick look around before i posted back.
    i would say go for it.
    it will be able to play most games.
    as i said use imaging software to make a backup of the original config due to only having a recovery partition and no reinstallation disc.
    any link to the website that is selling it?
    hope this helps.
    Tim

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

right,mine came with lots of crap [sony vaio], ditched all crap,and then took an image ,so no need to use the recovery partition which i guess is loaded with the same crab.I plan to unhide the hidden partition,format it and add this space for regular use.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Based on my experience with high powered notebooks, be sure to get some of a cooling fan. They run warm.

Pete

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

They are mandatory. Quite a few at the corporate offices overheated. Once I opened a few browser windows with massive downloading and my laptop shut off completely. The fans were running when that happened so the critical operating temperature had apparently been reached. :eek:

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I checked out some acer aspires before they seem sturdy made and some models do get good reviews.The one mentioned sounds like a good value.

10. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Acer is the "new Dell" with regards to: "more value for your money" (but, personally, I'd prefer it over Dell anytime)

MSI and GigaByte notebooks, if they are available in you country, also offers great value for the price.

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

All you americans did not look at the currency.

900.00 EUR = 1,415.43 USD
    Euro United States Dollars

It still seems like a pretty good deal.
    Beter specs than most desktops around that price.

12. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I think it was GBP's Cool. not Euros.

900 GBP's = 1,701.63 USD's

13. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

What is the exact model? I have one Acer two years ago. Totally rubbish. Now I have Dell and IBM. I like to pay some more if I get 3 years warranty, superb quality and good customers service.

EDIT: Maybe computer is one of these? http://geizhals.at/eu/?fs=acer+9500M&x=0&y=0&in= Doesn't look so promising because only couple of shop sells those. Germany is probably cheapest place to order something if you live in Europe. United States is good too but sadly you have to pay taxes. Yeah I know ways to avoid those but still...

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes you'll be able to play the latest games however you'll probably have to lower the settings to make them playable. I have an 8600m gt which can handle recent games using low/medium settings and the 9500 is supposed to have 10% better performance than the 8600.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes it is in GBP.

it is the Aspire 6920.

16. MikeNAS

Price is quite correct. After all I choose some other manufacturer with longer warranty. I don't like that screen resolution, 16" WXGA glare TFT (1366x76:cool:.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

actually Mike, thats not the screen on this model, that screen is on the cheaper ones.

this one im looking at, it has:

16" FULL HD - WUXGA ACER CINECRYSTAL TFT LCD 1920 X 1080

---
    i think im already talking myself into buying it. lol

18. MikeNAS

Intresting resolution but better than I thought. I have 1920x1200 and 15,4" Dell :D

19. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The only thing I do not understand is why 4 gigs of ram. AFAIK Vista Home Premium is 32 bit. At best the OS may only see\use maybe about 3 gigs of the ram.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Yeah, does seem pointless.

however, id rather the machine still have it than not.

21. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sure should not hurt anything. Just be aware that with the prices OEMs` charge for memory versus you buying it later.....probably raised the cost of the laptop around $150 USD. Then again that really is not much considering the total cost. I just always wondered why manufacturers do this.....other then as a selling point for unknowing users.

As mentioned in some other posts, over heating will probably be your biggest concern.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, i am aware of the heating issues on laptops.

however, ive used both acer and dell laptops, and acer definatly are cooler.

my dell dual core what i currently have, gets 'that hot!' that i cant even touch it, nevermind have it on my lap.

23. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Even 2GB of ram gets the full 5.9 from the Windows Experience Index so it might not be worth 4GB.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

doesnt on mine.

it gets 5.3

so other things must be taken into account.

25. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I got my Acer laptop over a couple of months ago and things are ok with it. I picked up a cheap sub-$500 5570z just to have to play with and to learn networking (in fact it was due to a conversation we had some time back about laptops that got me into thinking of getting one :) ). This being my first laptop I don't have anything to compare it with but I like it. It is not a gaming machine (my desktop takes that role, more on it later) but it does everything else reasonably well. Cons are the CrystalBrite glare and the battery life (just over two hours). But considering what I paid for it it isn't too bad.

I am typing this laying in bed with it on my lap. There is some warmth on the bottom and on each side of the touchpad (which I am finally getting used to, lol). The "exhaust" on the rear left side emits heat of course and I only hear a fan every now and then.

My main gripe with Acer is lack of documentation, both printed and web based. Luckily there is a Acer laptop forum here. I found out how to add Bluetooth to my laptop there.

I was planning on getting a new desktop later this summer. Monday I was on NewEgg's site when I came across this Acer desktop with a Quad core, 4 GB Ram, and 750 GB drive for only $750. I could not resist it so I purchased it and had it the next day. Man this thing is quick! And it is quiet too, in fact the DVD drive makes more noise than the CPU fan. Only con is that it has a weak video card, a ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB which appears to have it's clocking halved and Catalyst cannot change it. I had the same card (but 512MB) in the old Dell and it performed better. Too bad it is an AGP card, lol. I surmise that since the PSU is only around 300w this card was modified to run with it.

Acer is ok as long as you remember the old "you get what you paid for" adage. The laptop and desktop combined costs only $150 more than I paid for the Dell desktop five years ago. But my Acers have a lot more pros than cons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.