Laptop purchase comment

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wills, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I purchased a Toshiba notebook, mobile processor complete TEPP comprehensive warranty package and am extremely happy with it. Also with the telephone support that I get which continues for the life of the warranty which with mine it is until 2008. The battery life is very good and the monitor definition as well. I don't even use an external mouse. You really have to discuss the warranty well when you purchase the laptop, as the big box store was trying to sell me theirs and i go outside of the country a lot and thus i purchased the manufacturers warranty. and there was another reason that i did that is because it was the only one that covered accidental damage and the big box stores don't tell you that their warranty does not extend that far.
    One thing with Toshiba is that when you add more RAM they recommend Kingston which is a little more pricey than something like Transcend, however since that is what is originally in the box they sometimes have declined a fried mother board under their warranty if the added RAM is not Kingston and a lot of buyers are not aware of this.
    I did a lot of research before my purchase as we had SONY Vaio's at the office as the screen resolution was excellent. I am an accountant.
    But soon 40 VAIO's got sent back as they were loaded with so many superfulous programs and if you were working on something and hit one wrong key..."POOF" everything disappeared and if you forgot to keep saving you were in big trouble.
    The other issue with it was the flimsy hinges and construction...the box was constantly dusty on the inside.
    I also forgot to mention because of the volumes of programs included many of the boxes were very picky over firewalls and downloading of anti virus programs. Our in house tech simply said there was too much software and most not worth using that caused the problems.
    their warranty and support we experienced first hand and toshiba by far was number one for 24/7 tech support. mind you this may not be an issue if you are an advanced computer operator.
    You simply have to pick up a toshiba and pick up a sony and you know right away about the construction.
    I really like Sony, my TV, video camera, DVD, Video unit are all Sonys.
    And I think that is what they should stick to, their smaller units...I am not sure if it is "Zaire" or not but my nephew has one and he seems ok with it,
    Just added comments on 2 manufacturers that i have had experience with. I can't comment on the other brands.
    Toshiba may seem a bit pricey however I believe you get what you pay for. Another member in the family has a Toshiba purchased in 2003 and has had absolutely no problems with it 2 slots of 512, 1.9 ghz, pentium 4, mobile processor, well protected security wise and never been into a techie. Has a lot of people wanting to buy it as it has the CDRW, and floppy drive. The last of its kind. Its amazing how many people still prefer the floppy over the CD's and of course the 256 jump drives as well, enough said.
    Regards

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Thanks for your advise, I'm looking for a laptop at this moment, so any help is appreciated :)

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Good stuff Wills! I'll be looking for a laptop in the near future, but think I'll be going for true portability! My current one is a 15lb Brick It's been good.....as a desktop computer, but heavy to travel with. I love the 17" screen though. Interestingly, (I'm not into apples but) a friend recently bought one of these powerbook G4's. It looked quite impressive. A 17" (wide) screen and only about 3kg. Thanks for all that info. Like you, I will be doing plenty of homework/research before my next purchase.
    Buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.