Laptop Harddrive might be Dying

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have a Sony laptop (vgn-sz230P/B), and I think I will have to replace harddrive. The user manual gives no specifications for it. Sony's website offers to sell a replacement for a ridiculous price ($270 for 120G).

If I look at Newegg, I see a million replacement drives - how do I determine which ones are compatible?

Thanks,
    Len

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I located some information on the HD - it is sata 5400 rpm. Am I correct in assuming I could purchase a matching drive from any reputable manufacturer?

As just one example, would this work?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136130

I assume I can go to larger capacity if I wish - such as a 250 gig - is that correct?

Also, would I improve performance by paying a bit more for a 7200 rpm model. Would that be compatible:thumb: or would I be frying my computer:thumbd: ?

Thanks,
    Len

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

The link you provided is to an "ata" interface drive. You need a sata interface.

Yes you can go to a higher capacity drive. The physical size of the drive remains the same.

You may experience some performance boost by going to a 7200 rpm drive. But you will need to take other things into consideration. Cache size and read\write times.

While a higher RPM drive will probably not fry your laptop it will most likely create more heat. You should always be aware of how and where the laptop is setting.

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

ThunderZ -

Thank you - very helpful information.

One more question - how does transfer speed factor into the decision? I see 1.5gb/sec and 3 gb/sec.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Basically that is the speed at which the drive is capable of moving the information on and off of itself I believe. Most 3 gb drives are backwards compatible to 1.5. But if your motherboard does not support it then it is a null factor.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I get lots of drives from here...
    http://drivesolutions.com/

Good place. Their website has that "EZ Upgrade Center" wizard you can follow to find your replacement drive. They also have data transfer kits..Apricorns EZ Gig Transfer. (basically redone Acronis True Image using PCMCIA bridges or USB bridges) so you can clone your old drive to the new one.

Following that wizard for your make/model produced this list of drive options.
    http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-b...ems&kind=sol&pos=0&type=itemid&itemid=sol2749

Your original drive is a 120.0GB 5400RPM SATA-150
    I'd recommend getting a 7200rpm. A tad more heat..maybe...depends on the model you have. They have a nice fast 160 gig model, 9.5ms seek, 16 megs cache, 3 year warranty..99 bucks!!!
    http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-b...ptype=sol2749&pos=0&type=itemid&itemid=satlu8

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Stonecat -

Thank you!

I'm travelin for a few days with limited access to internet (and none to my dead Vaio, which I left behind). I will review this when I get home - info is all laid out very nicely.

Regards,
    Len

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Took the back off the laptop. Way over my head to replace that drive - it's pretty crowded in there!

I'd stand a better chance of removing my own appendix:D

So - off to the repair shop - thanks everyone for your comments, very helpful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.