Laptop doesn't start after disc cloning.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ThomasG, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasG

ThomasG Registered Member

Hi all,

I have to upgrade the HDD from a IBM Thinkpad T41 from a 40 GB to a 60 GB disk.

I plugged the 60GB over the USB to the Laptop and started our DD10 Boot CD. DD finds both HDD. (internal and extern)

I used Disk cloning to "copy" the internal disk into the external. The process completed successfully. Afterwards I change the disks in the laptop and started it with the "new" one.

Laptop starts and will stop after IBM Bootscreen. I have a blinking cursor in the top left corner and thats it. Rewriting MBR didn't help.

If I change back to the "old" one, computer starts immetatly without any problem.

What could be the Problem?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think the difference in disk size and serial number of the drive is the cause of the problem.

I can only suggest doing a repair install with an XP CD.

You mention that you tried rewriting the MBR - did you try fixboot and if XPPro bootcfg /rebuild ?

Colin

3. ThomasG

ThomasG Registered Member

Nope I didn't try that. I used fdisk /mbr

Will try your suggestions.

After trying to get cloning working I gave backup/restore a try. I did a full backup from the old disk on a network drive. Then I changed the HDD and did a restore from the network drive. This method was sucessfull.

But I still like to have the cloning working. Will post my result on fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild later.

Edit: No command helped

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.