Laptop doesn't start after disc cloning.

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ThomasG, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasG

ThomasG Registered Member

Hi all,

I have to upgrade the HDD from a IBM Thinkpad T41 from a 40 GB to a 60 GB disk.

I plugged the 60GB over the USB to the Laptop and started our DD10 Boot CD. DD finds both HDD. (internal and extern)

I used Disk cloning to "copy" the internal disk into the external. The process completed successfully. Afterwards I change the disks in the laptop and started it with the "new" one.

Laptop starts and will stop after IBM Bootscreen. I have a blinking cursor in the top left corner and thats it. Rewriting MBR didn't help.

If I change back to the "old" one, computer starts immetatly without any problem.

What could be the Problem?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think the difference in disk size and serial number of the drive is the cause of the problem.

I can only suggest doing a repair install with an XP CD.

You mention that you tried rewriting the MBR - did you try fixboot and if XPPro bootcfg /rebuild ?

Colin

3. ThomasG

ThomasG Registered Member

Nope I didn't try that. I used fdisk /mbr

Will try your suggestions.

After trying to get cloning working I gave backup/restore a try. I did a full backup from the old disk on a network drive. Then I changed the HDD and did a restore from the network drive. This method was sucessfull.

But I still like to have the cloning working. Will post my result on fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild later.

Edit: No command helped

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.