laptop display is too small

Discussion in 'hardware' started by a 1, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a 1

a 1 Registered Member

my eyes are getting strained, the display of my laptop is too small
    i tried changing the resolution to 1024x768, but then it gets blurry and the display isn't clear (it's "native resolution" is supposed to be higher than this)
    i find this laptop to be unusable because of this.

my old computer, a desktop, has a 13.5 inch monitor, and it's resolution is 1024x768. The display is clear and it's perfect for me.

why does my laptop have a problem? why can't it's display be clear when it's resolution is 1024x768?

what should i do?

thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. estra

estra Registered Member

I don't think there is anything that you can do about it.

As to why, you can read this Wikipedia article - Native resolution.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

As a senior quinquagenarian, I can tell you with some authority that monitors do not get better with age! And glasses can be a real pain because the focal length for most users viewing monitors is further than for reading a book, but less than what is needed for distance reading. So you end up talking tri-focals, or like me, 3 pairs of glasses, standard bi-focals, bi-focal sunglasses, and computer glasses which are also bi-focals with the large top for my monitors, and the bi-focal for paperwork. :(

Unfortunately, you neglected to tell us anything about your hardware, but I note that not all hardware is created equal. And resolution is not the only factor that indicates image quality. So your desktop monitor may just be of better quality than your notebook.

All notebooks support external monitors. The best solution for you may be to use an external monitor with notebook when you are not on the road - perhaps a nice 24" wide screen. Or it may be time to buy a new notebook, with a larger monitor.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

What happened to DPI, font size, icon size settings..... :ninja:

5. Bill_Bright

Lost in the Matrix.

6. a 1

a 1 Registered Member

i tried all this, but it's still uncomfortable

don't know if i'm right or wrong, but this is how i understand it - lcd monitors can only display their native resolution clearly, which means that if i get a larger monitor, the native resolution will be greater, and everything will look smaller

http://www.digitaltrends.com/features/lcd-resolution-when-bigger-is-actually-smaller/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Bill_Bright

No, that is incorrect. LCD monitors are optimized for their native resolution. Some of the better monitors can still handle other resolutions almost as well. Some monitors cannot.

Yes and no. Some stuff will look smaller, but the main point is, it will also be much more precise and clear - in focus. And with a larger display, you can always change the font size and not the resolution and still keep the pages in full view.

That said - if what you really need is a new pair of glasses, no monitor, resolution or font size setting will properly compensate. If your current prescription is more than 2 years old, perhaps it is time to visit your eye doc.

And if 40 or over and never worn glasses, guess what? It may be time to start. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.