Laptop Cooler

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Jan 22, 2015.

1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I am looking for a laptop cooler for my Sager NP8235.

My requirements are that it must have 2-3 fans. They must be either moveable or 2 of them in the upper left and right corners. I would prefer something with variable fan speed control that can hit 1200rpm or so if needed. This will be for a 15.4" laptop. Would also prefer something that can easily be disassembled and cleaned if needed. The air flow absolutely must suck from under the cooler and push up toward the laptop rather than suck away.

Would be nice if the unit was powered via wall plug, but USB will work as I have a powered USB hub.

Any ideas? I was looking at the Thermaltake Massive23, Thermaltake Massive 14, or the Thermaltake Massive TM 17"

Fancy LED's and portability arent important.

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

I can't really help you with a recommendation but I will say that when you're looking at these, look for something that has as little restricting of a mesh as possible between the fan and your laptop. I had a Cooler Master Notepal U2 and the thing very marginally helped because there was so much restriction from the surface of it. Or perhaps it was because the fans were so small; which is my other recommendation of trying to get one with 120mm+ fans.

Also, you could always just buy one or two pc fans and make your own. Would be a fun project and you'd have the fan positioning spot on.

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

my laptop was crashing with some games because of heat; maybe far cry 3 or skyrim, don't remember anymore. anyway, i bought a cooler master pad because they had received good recommendations and it was fine. it's a good brand and some of their models should fit your criteria. mine was also portable because you can place the pad casing around your laptop when traveling, but it's USB powered. it's also fairly quiet, which is important when buying one of these things, although as they accumulate wear, they become noisier. i haven't tried to clean mine, but i think it would be possible and easy (you can move the fans, etc.). but i'm not an expert on cooling pads, just a regular user.

before i bought the pad, i could also bring down my laptop temperature by placing an icepad underneath it; of course that can be inconvenient and requires changing every few hours. or you can at least place some makeshift stand under your laptop to leave an airspace underneath it for some cooling. and i'd recommend opening it up now and then to clean it; their internal fans and other parts can accumulate a buttload of dust compromising their efficacy.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I went with the Massive 14 squared. It seemed to have the best reviews for efficiency and features compared to cost.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.