Laptop backup corrupted images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Keith Hand, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Hand

Keith Hand Registered Member

I need to backup my laptop, which is Medion MD9783 (2G P4, 750Mb DDR400 memory,100Gb Hitach HTS54101G9AT00 HDD, USB 1.1), which has approx 10 years work on it.
    I have tried and failed with Norton Ghost, so bought Aronis True Image.
    I can get a valid image, only if I back up across my home network, to another windows machine with a shared disk, and do not split the image, which takes 5 hours a time.
    So I now have a backup on anothe machine, but I can't get this off to removable media as it is 48Gb.
    If I ask ATI to save the image as DVD size segments, the verify fails evey time, but save it as one single big image file, & it's fine every time.
    Anybody any ideas please.

I also have a linksys NSLU2 network storage device, with two 400G drives attached, but when I try to save the image to this, I can go down the tree of network connected computers, down the tree of network drives, but when I type the filename (same filename and path as on a windows PC) ATI says that this is not a valid image location.
    The SmartSync Pro backup program does not have a problem, backing up files to this location but ATI does.
    I am aware that the Linksys box is an embeded Linux device, emulating a windows shared drive, and soring the data in a linux format, but all other applications that I use don't seem to mind this.
    I was thinking of investing in a terastation (1.6 terabyte NAS) but I don't want to buy it, and find that I have the same problem.
    Anybody any ideas please.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Keith,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If any of the problems you reported still persists with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please do the following:

Could you please provide us with the following information?

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information for both computer that you backup and computer where the network share you save the resulting image to is located;

- Let us know if the split archive verifies as corrupted both when the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home;

- Try to verify the image archive split into the DVD-sized parts running Acronis True Image on both computer that you backup and computer where the network share is located. Let us know if it verifies as corrupted on both machines;

- What image archive split size did you use?

- Create a new image archive splitting it into DVD-sized parts and saving it to any hard drive connected locally, verify this image by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool both when Acronis True Image is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD. Inform us about the result;

- Describe your network structure in more details.

Please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem:

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the error message you receive;

- When exactly do you receive this error message?

- Does the problem appears both when you try to create an image saving it to your Linksys NSLU2 network storage device using the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD create with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- Describe your network structure in more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Keith Hand

Keith Hand Registered Member

This now seems to be usable, after some help from Acronis support.
    Many thanks guys

I still dont understand how it can create a valid 48Gb image, and a valid image of 24 * 2Gb files, but still corrupts if the segment size is DVD size selected from the drop down menu. (but hey, thats computers for you o_O )

To: <support@acronis.com>
    Cc: <feedback@acronis.com>
    Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 12:24 AM
    Subject: Re: [Acronis #578459] Corrupt images when split to dvd size

Dear support

In response to your support email, I have tried reducing the segment size
    down to 2Gb.

I have now successfully created backup images (and verified) as both a
    single 48Gb file and 24 off 2Gb files on the Linksys NLSU2 NAS devices
    (Also Acronis call ref #578459), but with this build, could still not create a
    backup of 4Gb segments that will verify, but at least I should be able to
    copy a backup on to DVD's with two segments per DVD.

I noticed that there was a new build (3663) out on Friday 19th May, which
    included DVD support, so I will install it and try again.

The build of V9 3567, also seems to have fixed the NAS problem
    (Acronis #578464),
    as it now does not complain at the destination being the Linksys NAS host.

Many thanks
    Keith Hand

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Keith Hand,

Could you please verify the image archives using Validate Backup Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result?

Please also try to store the image archives to a local drive (splitting to DVD file size), if possible, and try to verify this image archive.

In order to do this please send us the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the validation results:

- run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected log files. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.