LangaList? Comodo?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dadkins, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadkins

dadkins Registered Member

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I had a sneaky suspicion about this. It was just too weird all the immediate praise this pf was getting.

3. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello zapjb,

I don't use Commodo.

There is nothing in Fred Langa's remarks to indicate that Commodo is not a good firewall.

Regards - Charles

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I've never used it either. But I was referring to this linked page.
    http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/05/12/security_aadgdfdddh_ah/

....A row is brewing over Comodo’s bundling of software called LaunchPad with Comodo Anti-Virus and their other freebies. Some allege that LaunchPad is impossible-to-uninstall adware, or worse.....

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi zapjb,

Thanks for the clarification :)

Regards - Charles

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The Launchpad was removed from the firewall installation.

I think this thread may need to be moved to "other Anti-virus"

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I believe that Mr. Langa should have perused the Comodo (or Wilder's ;)) forums before putting out that particular article. I've installed and uninstalled earlier versions of CPF that had the launch pad (it's the same launch pad as Comodo's AV) cleanly with no problems whatsoever. It never fails to amaze how quick some are to push the panic button!

8. dadkins

The article was about Comodo Firewall... not antivirus. o_O

"Critics charge that Comodo's Firewall product is a bait-and-switch scam, offering a free-forever firewall product, but sneaking samples of the company's other offerings without informing, or getting permission from, users. Detractors also claim the free firewall is nearly impossible to uninstall."

Looks like thay say firewall....

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yes, No and maybe :p ....however....there is more than enough justification for it to remain in the Firewall Forum....so for now we'll continue the discussion in our firewall forum if you don't mind :p

sorry for the interruption,
    Bubba

10. dadkins

Thank you Bubba!

11. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have Comodo Firewall installed for the third time now on my PC. The first time was when it still used alot of memory and slowed down my PC, and then again a second time to see if it improved. Although it did, I uninstalled it to try other ones to compare until I finally settled on the latest version that I have now. It certainly uninstalled without incident, and if any spyware was installed with it at anytime, then neither Adaware, Spyware Terminator, SuperAntiSpyware, or WinPatrol found it as I have used them throughout. Plus I have used Kerio and ZA Free as the comparison Firewalls and they showed nothing was phoning home out of the ordinary in between CPF installs. If there is anything wrong here it is the quick assumption that Comodo may be hoodwinking people. One things for sure. The CEO of Comodo seems to be going to great lengths to be a part of this Forum and it's own in an effort to improve the Firewall, and to also reassure everyone it will. The reason I say this is that from what I've have seen when it comes to most CEO's of any large Company, is that they're usually not heard from until after they have hoodwinked people, not before. As far as the AV, it's beta and no one has forced me to try it. Of course I will when the Full Version is released, but until then I'll stick with AOL AVS. That's right the company that is claimed to have spyware. I must say though, I've received nothing out of sorts yet by using AVS or Comodo Firewall and I'm not worried that I will.

12. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

It is absolutely amazing the number of people so consumed with paranoia who are quick to pass unsubstantiated, adverse judgement on a product without first getting the facts. What on earth is this world coming to?

13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Quote from Langa's site:

Regarding the charge that Comodo Firewall is very hard to uninstall, it appears that may have been a concern with a previous version, but has been rectified with the current product. The company seems to listen to complaints and work hard to address them, which is impressive support for a fully featured, totally free utility.

Some users have other complaints, such as that the utility's UI is obtrusive, and that the company blatantly hawks for-pay offerings in the software.

What's impressive is that few users complain about the performance or effectiveness of Comodo Firewall itself.

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Interesting, that once some freeware becomes really good, some people will start complaining about it, like it will not be freeware, it contains adware and etc. I wonder, who pays them. [​IMG]

15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Surprised the man hasn't had a go at REAL pop up advertising from McAffee and Norton to name but two. They have pop ups saying this part or that part of the companies portfolio is not installed implying that your security is somehow weaker for it. Comodo's launch pad, which can now be disabled, when opened tells you what Comodo products you HAVE installed, to find out what other FREE products there are you have to CLICK on a button to open a window.
    Smacks of selective criticism to me and it makes you wonder what their motive is when the big two security companies have far more intrusive pop up advertising. Comodo launch pad, when clicking on the 'other free software' button informs of other free Comodo products, whereas the big two (and others) pop up adverts seeking money for other products they produce.

Massive difference in advertising a free product and advertising for more income imo.

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The problem I have with Comodo is that I do not understand their business model. They seem to be ploughing a lot of money/time into developing these free products without any guarantee that there will be a pay back. It is mentioned on the site that it will improve the confidence of those shopping on the net and therefore they will sell more certificates, but there are some bigger and some cheaper suppliers of those, so who will also benefit?

Altrusism is mentioned - well maybe, but seems more like a smoke screen to me.

Then there is the fact that they insist on this activation process for a free product. I know the reasons given but there has to be a purpose behind it.

For my part I feel happier not using it.

I am not implying anything here, just that is does not hang together well in my mind.

17. cprtech

So what? Comodo is free and it just works and works extremely well. All they require is an email address and a name. Did you know you can simply create a "throw-away" email address using hotmail or yahoo? Did you also know you could simply send them a make-believe name and they will still send you the download? I didn't do this bacause I am not that paranoid. They don't ask for credit card info, your address or anything else personal. Nothing they get from you is a threat to your personal identity!

There is no spam or anything nefarious leaping out of the interface at you, nor any other peculiar and suspicious behaviour noticeable. It simply behaves exactly how a quality firewall should.

All they do is allow you to download, install and keep their firewall for life.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Why are you so defensive? I have my opinion, you have yours and I am quite happy to accept your reasoning, just happens I don't agree. Seems that anyone who dares to criticise Comodo gets attacked. If it is as good as you say it is then it will get judged on that.

Incidently, as one who has horses, a gift horse is usually a bag of trouble and to be avoided at all costs.

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The Launch Pad was a pain,nothing more,nothing less.
    It has already been dealt with by Comodo.

The most important issues IMO are:

The firewall works well.
    The program is clean.

20. cprtech

My apologies djg05,

I don't mean to offend or even push Comodo on you or anyone. It just perturbs me when people form unsubstantiated opinions on something without really researching the product and giving it a fighting chance in the first place. That is how it seems to me, reading some of the unfavourable comments toward comodo.

Admittedly it does, on the surface, seem too good to be true when you see quality software being offered free for life. Sure, instinctive alarm bells should trigger immediately and that was no different with me when I stumbled upon the product a few months ago, tried it for a day then dropped it until a few weeks ago when I continued to read favourable comments on it. Well, being intrigued, I went back to try it again, joined the forum and did some serious reading on it. There is nothing I have seen yet that arouses suspicion in me about the product and the developer. It works very well, though needs some refinement in certain areas, as well as a few more features, but it is working solidly so I am sticking with it indefinitely. If I see a better product - for me - come along, then I may switch. I'm still holding out on Outpost Pro because I have found the latest RC's a little too buggy for my liking.

BTW, I removed my unfavourable "gifthorse" comment in the previous post. The comment was in poor taste. Sorry about that.

21. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Hi cprtech

Ok I understand your perspective and don't worry about the 'Gifthorse'.

For your info I have tried it and have discussed my feelings there which were taken the wrong way, and all that did was to confirm my misgivings about it. I was also perturbed about the public airing of the email from Agnitum which I thought was unprofessional.

However whatever our points of view I am glad to see we have no need to fall out over it.

I hope it works well for you.

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am glad at least the discussion didn't degrade to bitter bickering and insults like I have seen in chatrooms that I used to frequent. o_O

I think the one thing that makes Comodo a bit different than other software companies is that they offer several programs completely free of charge. Most antivirus, antispyware, firewall programs usually are not free (for the full featured versions) and to have one company offer theirs for free forever makes one pause to wonder sometimes. The income generating factor has to be a part of the total equation whether the programs can be offered for free for the indefinite future. Otherwise, all free offerings will evaporate just the "free forever unlimited internet access" offered by a lot of companies back in the late 1990's, remember? :mad: :'( :thumbd: ;)

23. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just want to add that the reason I said I won't worry, is because I'm poor, and my Credit Cards are theft protected. LOL. Seriously though, I can see both sides of this whole thing a little better now that more people have weighed in. However, it seems that considering this company's standing in their chosen industry/field, the question I have is. What would they really have to gain at this point by doing anything that may be considered unethical? Also I'm sure without checking, that the company is already making enough money. True you never know where the next Enron may come from,(I'm not comparing this topic to that scandle) and I can understand a few raised eyebrows. But like an earlier poster mentioned, this wasn't coming up until so much praise was being mentioned. One things for sure. Comodo is doing something that, if you read the posts in just these forums alone, apparently other company's aren't doing with their Firewalls. Improving their product instead of it getting worse.

24. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Per Comodo's business model, there are many security softwares using a similar tact. Release a quality freeware in the hopes of selling either a "pro" version once the user is familiar with the freeware, or build confidence in the company itself in order to attract paying customers for their non-related commercial offerings. Many of these products are discussed in these forums on a daily basis! The suspicion here is just not warranted, IMHO. As an aside, how quickly did Comodo change their firewall from a "what?" to a "wow!" Jeepers kids, are we that jaded?!

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast offers a free version so does Zone Alarm, albeit a crippled one, their only agenda is to get feedback which is only possible with a huge installed clientbase, something not possible with a paid program, and a side benefit of that is that the Pro version gets free publicity as well. I don't see anything wrong with this tactic at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.