lagging system after component update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vtol, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtol

vtol Registered Member

system is WIN 7 Ultimate 64bit / NOD32 4.2.35.0

after recent update of program components, Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1269 (2010040:cool: / Archive support module: 1111 (2010040:cool: / Virus signature database: 5010 (2010040:cool:, the system rendered sluggish/lagging.

Worst is Opera browser b 3344, it now almost unusable, hanging non-responsive. But also other applications clearly lagging.

Seems there is a bug been introduced and I would like to downgrade to predecessor versions of Antivirus and antispyware scanner and Archive support modules and wondering how that can be achieved?

N.B. turning off NOD32 resolves the lagging, but this certainly is not a desirable workaround...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

just updated to 4.2.42, which though did not solve the matter

nod32 is actually choking on opera.dll

if you exclude it from the real-time file system protection opera is back to normal

wondering though why eset has this trouble with this dll in the first place. shamed be he who thinks evil of it.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume you enabled advanced heuristics on file access which is disabled by default. In the main setup (F5), navigate to Real-time file system protection setup -> ThreatSense engine parameter setup -> Options and make sure that Advanced heuristics is disabled.

4. vtol

vtol Registered Member

right, it is enabled. why would I disable it? is that feature not supposed to work? system got a quad-core i7 processor, which can handle a large load, if that is what you are concerned.

5. Marcos

When enabling advanced heuristics on file access, you get a warning that enabling it may have adverse effect on system performance which happened in your case. For this reason, advanced heuristics is enabled only for newly created files in real-time protection. Other modules (web, email protection, on-demand / startup scanners) have it enabled by default. Opera.dll is a large dll which takes time to get emulated by advanced heuristics (2-3 seconds on my computer).

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

thanks for the explanation, but unfortunately you are wrong, for 2 reasons:

1. I mentioned in my initial post that this only started to occur after the April 08th updates, hence it is safe to assume that one of those is the culprit. I would bet on the Antivirus and antispyware scanner module.

2. out of curiosity just did as you said, took also opera.dll off the exclusion and we are back to scratch, i.e. opera is lagging again. thence, proving that something is wrong with nod32. perhaps it makes sense for eset to look into the matter. I am certain I will not be the only one having this issue.

7. Marcos

Ok, it happens beacuse you have runtime packers enabled on file access and support for the unpacker used in that opera.dll was added in the recent update of the archive module. We'll take some measures to prevent that dll from being unpacked so it should be scanned quickly.

8. vtol

vtol Registered Member

thanks, appreciate the follow-up and support

9. vtol

vtol Registered Member

eset meantime released an update to the Archive support module,now 1112 (20100409), which resolves the matter, i.e. Opera is back to normal without having to exclude opera.dll

this would conclude the matter and thread can be closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.