Kubuntu or PC Linux OS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I like both and will choose one after trying live Cds of these plus freespire, Kanotix, ubuntu, dream linux, Mandrive etc!

What do u think? Which one of the two is better and why? Whih has more better hardware recognition and easier to use etc?

Thanks

Also i want to try BSD in GUI mode, which disttro will be easiest?
    Thanks

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like PCLinuxOS best, it just seems to have it all and working out of the box, never any problems or anything to tweak. Didn't have as good luck with Kubuntu.

For BSD, try PC-BSD or DesktopBSD. I like PC-BSD a little better. With PC-BSD you install apps much the same as you do in Windows, you download a packaged program and install it, whereas in DesktopBSD you have the usual ports collection. Both are interesting though.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I think in that case I will choose PCLinuxOS.
    Is it easy to install software in PCLinuxOS?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

PCLOS is my choice. :D

To install software in PCLOS, I know 2 ways.

The 1st is supported & updated is through Synaptic Package Manager.
    And it is easy.

The other is install software unsupported & theres various ways.

PCLOS also has a great forum.

http://www.pclinuxos.com

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Depending on whether you want to learn, or simply enjoy using it, i would almost suggest another OS.
    Don't you have a Toshiba M70-320 too? :)

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

There are no BSD distros, that is a linux thing. A BSD system is an entire system, kernel, base system, etc. There is a complete separation between the base system and applications added on top. For example, in pkgsrc (the NetBSD package manager that has been ported to almost every *nix platform), if I wanted to delete all the applications I installed, I would just delete the /usr/pkgsrc tree and /usr/pkg/*. Bam :D

However, some people have added GUI preinstalled to FreeBSD, which is shown in PCBSD and DesktopBSD. PC-BSD seems to be progressing the quickest, but the one thing I dislike about it is that it has developped its own pkg system in PBIs which can be downloaded and installed like things on windows, with double clicking on the file. However, this doesn't interoperate with BSD's own ports tree, so things can get complicated and tricky. But, many things work out of the box automatically which is why a lot of people like it.

Desktop BSD on the other hand is a more unadultered FreeBSD system, and the GUI tools actually work with ports.

I would recommend jumping straight in with FreeBSD 6.2 (or wait for version 7 but that may be far away), and just use that. In the ports tree are the DesktopBSD graphical tools to install, so you can always use them if you prefer GUI.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the details Alpha!

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will like to use it without any hassles,.
    I do have. It,s the only one!
    I wonder how u remember this from old threads.:)

9. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

PCLinuxOS and PC-BSD ;)

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That could be a problem, in future (i don't know). But i know what problems you would face when installing it. I had them and solved them. Google really is a friend.
    When i joined, and read your specs, i said to myself: his problems, and his experiences with programs will be at least similar. Never forgot. :)

No big secret that the OS i'm talking about is Debian (Ubuntu is based on it).
    I tried Ubuntu (GNOME desktop, not KDE in Kubuntu) and liked it too. But i found it buggy myself. I was probably just unlucky, i did try lots of programs, and i am a newcomer (ie, who knows :) ).

With Debian, i had 2 major issues following install: no network, and no GUI (it booted to a black screen).
    1-Turns out there's something wrong/ incompatibility with my router and DHCP. I had to enter a static internal IP (editing a file). Later on, i intend to see what's wrong with DHCP, but for now i'm more interested on other things.
    2-The screen part was related to the ATI driver. Entering the generic driver "vesa" allowed me to use GNOME, but ugly and limited. Then i installed the ATI driver (there's more ways than one), and now Debian is stable, no glitches, beautiful. I'm a happy camper as they say.

Etch was updated recently (17 of this month), so i can't say if it detects things better on install. But using it is not hard, it's almost the same thing comparing to Ubuntu (but since i'm new, put some salt in this).

11. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

I like PCLINUXOS but for some reason, Synaptic takes forever to load and build its indexes. Also, with Synaptic open, things noticibly slow down. Any Ubuntu based distros, or debian in general (give Simply-Mepis a go), synaptic is light as a feather - and quick! Also there is a much larger collection available. However, PCLINUXOS is more intuitive and "easy", and apart from synaptic, I can't fault it.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

PCLOS if you are into KDE based distro, Kubuntu is good and has vast Ubuntu support but somehow if you check Ubuntu forums, you will see the general attitude that its sort of a step child of Gnome based Ubuntu.

13. tlu

tlu Guest

I didn't have problems with Kubuntu, but I didn't try PCLinuxOS, so I have no comparison. There were several reasons why I chose Kubuntu:
    • The large community.
    • The strong driving force behind Ubuntu with Canonical and Mark Shuttlewoth, respectively. It might be a prejudice - but I'm a little bit cautious about distributions with only a small development team. Who knows if they'll still exist next year?
    • I read a study some time ago that showed that Ubuntu is the distribution with the fastest security updates. And I guess there's a conjunction with my second argument.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I would have choosed Ubuntu but i don,t like the GUI especially the brown color everywhere.

15. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Doesn't matter.

PCLOS is the easiest distro.

And it's all community based.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Attached Files:

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ubuntu has more packages then pclos and better support too. it's really easy to change the way ubuntu looks as well, i've got some screenshots of ubuntu in my sig.

but, i think you should look at lots of screenshots of KDE and Gnome then decide which desktop you like the look of, you can customise both, but they have slightly different looks because the GUI toolkits they use are different. i don't like the way fonts look with KDE so i use gnome, i use other desktops too but they use the same gtk toolkit gnome uses.

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

To test the assertion that ubuntu has better support that PCLOS. Visit both forums. I'm a member of both. My choice is PCLOS. :D

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you donwload the file then open the theme manager and drag the file in to it.

have a look through the ubuntu screenshots
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=515076

there's a really nice dock called avant window navigator, or AWN, it's like the new dock that will come out with the latest version of OSX but does more. have a look at youtube for it.

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

we went through this last time, i know you like pclos, but that doesn't mean it has better support :rolleyes: have a look at both forums, IRC channels, mailing lists and wikis. ubuntu's support is about 10 times better, it's a fact.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Iceni. I will try.

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

That assertion doesn't make it a fact.

My experience assures it's a falsehood.

But each to thier own.

And all users escaping or experiencing different OSs than M$ are to be applauded.

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

whenever i'm looking up some generic linux problem i normally find the answer comes from something to do with ubuntu, i can't remember ever getting any answers from a pclos site. maybe other linux users find most of their searches for linux problems lead them to pclos sites, but i wouldn't believe them!

i'm not being biased, it's just what i've found, anyway my main OS is suse, not pclos or ubuntu.

i like these icons :D
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/AER-OS-XK?content=49990

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Why not use both? That's the beauty. You have the choice.
    I would recommend you begin with (K)Ubuntu.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.