Kubuntu 9.10 awsome!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Durad, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Did anybody tested Kubunty 9.10 beta?
    I love it :)

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Did you by any chance run it on a dual-boot set-up - maybe seperate (two +)
    hard drives with one of the OS using Legacy Grub ?
    If so how did it go ? :)

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I, too, find Kubuntu 9.10 very nice. However, there are a few bugs that need to be worked out (which is normal in a BETA release). As a result I have went back to Gentoo, and will probably stay here for a while.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Assuming Karmic was installed to the second disk and that during installation
    Grub was not installed to the MBR but to Karmic's boot sector and that I have
    Ubuntu Hardy on the first hard disk. Then I think I can use the old Grub
    chainloader commands :-

(1st partition of the second disc sdb1)

root=(hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

If Grub was not installed to the Karmic boot sector, then one should run:
    sudo grub-setup --force /dev/sdb1 (where sdb1 is Karmic's partition)
    from within Karmic.* (Apparently Grub2 'complains' but does it.)

*But how to boot Karmic (ext4 fs) if one has Hardy/Jaunty ext3 fs. Grub1
    cannot read ext4 fs. My Hardy on the first drive uses Legacy Grub and is ext3 fs,
    so is it correct to say that I would not be able to direct boot Karmic in this case ?
    Then I better make sure to install Grub2 to the Karmic boot sector and not to the MBR
    when I decide to install Karmic.

5. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I think you've got it right. Install grub2 to the Karmic boot sector and have grub, on the Hardy partition "chainload" to it. You must use the chainload command in grub or it won't work.

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The daily stream of updates on my Netbook Edition have stopped. Its as ready as ever once the general availability version is available next week. I had to install a few missing Jaunty libraries to get Ubuntuzilla and Kuickshow installed. Fast and stable!

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Just installed the ubuntu rc, and it is running well. I can't speak for anyone else, but my laptop loves the .31 kernel. The one thing that gave me a little trouble was adding an acpi parameter to grub2. It turns out I had to go to /etc/default/grub and add it to the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=".

8. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

"Ubuntu 9.10 is awesome"

In short, yes, yes it is. :thumb: Once the stable is released, I'll be installing it for a couple of new Linux first timers that liked the way the beta felt and looked when I showed it to them. Ubuntu is great.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Ive just tryed ubuntu 9.10 in virtualbox and it does seem good.
    I will install the final as a dualboot on eiether my laptop or desktop or maybe both.

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Durad
    If you prefer an KDE orientated distribution I'd like to recommend openSUSE over Kubuntu. My experience is that Kubuntu lacks lots of (under the hood) polish. Please notice that lots of KDE developers are in a way connected to openSUSE or Novell.

You can follow the KDE developers this blog.

11. chronomatic

I think Mandriva also has excellent KDE integration. Many people seem to think it is the best for KDE.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Topmost post talks about Kubuntu :argh:

13. Sputnik

@chronomatic
    True, however Mandriva is too 'closed' in my opinion.

@Pedro
    Yup but all from comrade Riddell alone. :p

@All
    I'm not intending an distro flamewar since this kind of discussions often end in one. Though from a developers' point of view I think that the whole Ubuntu project is contributing too little to the community. This said I've to admit that Ubuntu itself is a worthy since it generated more public interest in Linux distributions in whole. Kubuntu however still is, in my opinion, just a hobbyist spin-off of Ubuntu. It's awful to see how much stuff is often broken or half-working in released Kubuntu versions. I do respect Riddell's enthusiasm but, again from my point of view, it does more harm then good to KDE (where end-users experience a lesser desktop experience then the used to have with Ubuntu).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Sputnik,
    I do think that most distros just use stock KDE 4 and dont really bother to brand it. so its hard to tell which distro is used. it could be any linux distro.
    the only proper branded kde imo is mandriva or opensuse. mandriva does all the desktop environments well imo.

fedora does some branding but it still feels more like a gnome / xfce distro.

15. Sputnik

@lodore
    I'm not necessarily referring towards branding. It's more like 'putting things together in a proper way'. Arch for example also uses a 'stock' KDE but puts this together in a very efficient way making things just work.

The added value of a distribution is that they combine several oss-projects in such a way that they 'just work' for the end-user. This indicated a whole other role then just compiling some sources and adding some branding.

16. NormanF

Suse and Mandriva/PCLOS are the two distributions noted for integrating their tools into KDE so it really functions as more of a unified OS. The very modularity of KDE however will ensure it will never look and feel exactly like Windows.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my idea of branding includes integration of all the tools and thats why the distros i listed do very well in those areas.
    sorry if i didnt make that clear.

18. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Hi all,

All this Kubuntu stuff gets me dizzy. When it is available (9.10), what would be the optimal installation method of Kubuntu 9.10? There are choices. One seems safe and one seems optimal.:doubt:

Wubi Windows Install, seems at first glance, a non-threatening way to go but "I" wonder if it is a less desirable choice; as opposed to a dual booting installation. I'm thinking that a dual boot, Kubuntu would be the best experience but an install of Kubuntu as a Windows installation package is very attractive.

I think what I am trying to say is that "I want to try Kubuntu 9.10 but IT just scares me somehow." No, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but that is where I'm at.

All sugestions will be appreciated... trust me.

I really want to try Kubuntu 9.10...:doubt: I'm just unsure as how to proceed I guess.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well try it using the windows install method and if you like it report back and we can help you transition a smooth dualboot.

20. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I had a quick play before it froze on me (twice).
    Looking a lot better, no graphical glitches from the taskbar and plasmoids like I got in 9.04.
    I honestly think as a desktop its good, I just felt some of the apps Kmail, Konquer, Kontact just did not seem to meet my needs.
    After I installed Firefox was a shame the install firefox menu item did not go away.
    And as a liveCD seemed to run as quick as the Main Ubuntu 9.10 livecd, where I found 9.04 Kubuntu livecd was noticably slower, especially loading the desktop initially.

Cheers, Nick

21. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Does anyone else here have a Broadcom wireless? Because Karmic is refusing to activate the restricted drivers on my laptop.

The oddest part is that wireless works PERFECTLY when I boot from LiveUSB. A shame, since my USB and speakers are now working properly without having to mess with any config files (unlike Jaunty).

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

This seems to work for a number of folks:-

1) Open Synaptic Pacakage Manager
    2) Ensure 9.10 LiveCd is in CD drive
    3) Settings > Repositories > Ubuntu Software
    4) Check the installable from cd and close
    5) Refresh
    6) Search for "bcmwl-kernel-source"
    7) Mark for installation
    8>Install it
    9) Reboot computer

23. NormanF

If you did an "in place" upgrade, all the settings should carry over to Karmic. I have a Dell Inspiron e1505 notebook and all I had to do upon reboot was activate the network manager.

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Thanks Ocky. I didn't have a LiveCD, so I installed the dkms, fakeroot, patch and bcmwl packages from my LiveUSB. Wireless worked perfectly upon reboot.

I must say this is the best version of Ubuntu I've tried yet; everything is working well so far! *fingers crossed* AMD even has a new version of their Catalyst drivers for my Radeon card that doesn't chainsaw GNOME off at the knees whenever I try to watch a video with Compiz enabled. :D Let's hope this lasts...

25. chronomatic

Explain.

Yes. I saw one of the lead kernel developers criticize Canonical for this in one of his speeches. He said that, out of all of the major distros, Canonical contributes the LEAST to the kernel. Red Hat is #1 I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.