Kubuntu 17.10 review - Hello darkness my old friend

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Roll on, roll on for the misery tour. This is an invitation, roll on, to read my long, thorough, largely negative review of Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark, tested in a dual-boot configuration on a laptop with Nvidia graphics, covering live session, installation and post-install use, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, Wireless printing, multimedia playback - HD video and MP3, smartphone support - Android and Windows Phone, partitioning, installation slideshow, package management, applications, resource usage, performance, responsiveness, hardware compatibility, suspend & resume, fonts, customization, and numerous issues, bugs, problems, regressions and inconsistencies like kernel and application crashes, Samba slowness, media playback artifacts, odd program behavior, and more. Me sad. You read.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-aardvark.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The recent abandon of Unity looks more and more abandon of the desktop (and we're yet to see who'll buy Ubuntu and for what purpose).
    Who will pick up the flag in case it's totally dropped by Canonical? Mint (Debian based)? Manjaro?

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

It is disheartening.
    I decided against using Linux as my primary machine at least for now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.