Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak - Cautiously good?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a long, thorough review of Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak 64-bit edition, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, GPT, 16 partitions, and multiple instances of Windows and Linux, covering live session, installation, and post-install use, including look & feel, Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing but no printing, multimedia playback - MP3 and HD video, smartphone support - iPhone and Ubuntu Phone, partitioning, slideshow, package management and updates, applications, hardware support, suspend & resume, resource usage, battery life, customization and extra software, various problems like network issues, application crashes, broken themes and icons, and more. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-yakkety-yak.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. guest

guest Guest

Kubuntu, my favorite Linux Distro, long time didn't used it. sadly the latest version are not worth using anymore. Will stick to Win10 then :D

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Why not? :/

4. guest

guest Guest

on v15, i already observed the premisces of the issues @Mrkvonic cited on his article above (loss of customizations, etc..)

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Been using it for several months and never once saw this problem. This is an unedited screenshot I took yesterday while flying on X-Plane. Used the rectangular region capturer.

Not really KDE's fault AFAIW, because here on Arch there's no such thing as "apps" (programs) crashing.

Again an Ubuntu thing, I can use the Super Key to open the main menu here on Arch.

Yeah right :argh:

Pulseaudio is the cause of this, I'm 98% sure. If you look at Top right now, you'll see it'a always consuming between 2 and 4% of processing power. Either that, or Kworker for some reason.

It looks fine here.

GIMP
    Iceweasel

I've experienced that in Ubuntu and openSUSE before.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Netrunner has now switched over to Maui, which is a more user-friendly version of KDE Neon that Mrk reviewed awhile back.

It uses the LTS version of KDE Plasma and that's a good thing. Only bug fixes and security enhancements for KDE that should result in a more consistent and reliable user experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.