Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus - Not meant to be

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 23, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let me unsweeten your week. Here's a long, thorough review of Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus 64-bit LTS release, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, GPT, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows and Linux, covering live session, installation and post-install use, including look & feel and UI woes, network connectivity - wonky Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing and no Samba printing, weak smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone, Windows Phone, iPhone, partitioning, dreadful and buggy package management & updates, multimedia playback - HD video, MP3, applications, stability, performance, responsiveness, resource usage, battery life, suspend & resume, hardware compatibility, inconsistency in behavior and results compared to other Ubuntu releases across all aspects of desktop functionality, many other usability problems and niggles, and more. Have fun. Sort of.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-xerus.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

"
    Nothing about this particular edition oozes confidence, quality or long-term vision. Really sad. 2/10. My weekend has been ruined again, thank you. Don't bother. Bye.

Cheers.
    "

LOL.. is it really that bad? I only use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Other than the initial "Ubuntu Software couldn't install 3rd party .deb" embarrassment (which was fixed earlier), at least Ubuntu 16.04 looks OK to me. Maybe it's just Kubuntu that is this bad?

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

But that's Linux these days. Nothing new, lots of bugs, and a new wallpaper.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yup, it's really bad.
    Mrk

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

arch! (and it's more user-friendly derivatives)

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I tried Ubuntu 16.04 for a month but found it had too many little glitches and bugs, it's terrible. Even so, it was going fairly well, until a recent update of update-notifier screwed things up even more, now every time I boot up, it tells me there are updates available, but in fact, there are none. Just one of many little idiotic issues. I have gone back to 14.04.4 for now and find it extremely clean and nice, the way it should be. The new stuff is very disappointing.

7. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Even for Ubuntu LTS releases it has always been wise to wait a couple of weeks for xx.xx.1.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. At least .1 or maybe even .2.

9. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Nothing to help drawing people away from Windows towards Linux...

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

yes, this botched release is harmful, and difficult to understand

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Definitely Disconcerting! Perhaps they should have called it that? :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.