Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander review

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The autumn hunting season begins: here's my long-ish review of Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander 64-bit edition, tested in a dual-boot configuration, covering live session, install and post-install usage, including look & feel, Wireless connectivity & network management changes, Samba sharing, partitioning and bootloader setup, applications, package management, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, Nvidia driver configuration, resource usage, stability, suspend & resume, many problems like desktop effects, missing items from the repositories, network printing issues, application errors and crashes, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-salamander.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mark. I hope they will change their release schedule to once per year instead of every 6 months. The crashes are really annyoing...

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

dead link ?

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Works here.

5. 031

031 Registered Member

I just could not use Muon Discover; too slow and i always got stuck. Except that everything went smooth for me.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I actually found Kubuntu 13.10 the first version that did not crash on my machine, I had it in a VM for a week. Was less than impressed with some of the KDE software though, simple because for all the configurability they lacked functionality that I am used to in GTK/Gnome apps.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I had a very stable experiance with Ubuntu 13.10. It seems to me at least that 13.10 is more stable than 13.04. Althou, after 1 week of usage and tinkering around I did get few crashes. I really feel that if they spent extra 6 months fixing the bugs it would have been a very stable OS.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The problems with Akonadi and Muon segfaulting are nothing new for KUbuntu, unfortunately. I believe that this is more of a KDE problem, though, and it is also one of the reasons for the removal of Akonadi when compiling the KDE from sources after installing Slackware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.