Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander review

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The autumn hunting season begins: here's my long-ish review of Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander 64-bit edition, tested in a dual-boot configuration, covering live session, install and post-install usage, including look & feel, Wireless connectivity & network management changes, Samba sharing, partitioning and bootloader setup, applications, package management, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, Nvidia driver configuration, resource usage, stability, suspend & resume, many problems like desktop effects, missing items from the repositories, network printing issues, application errors and crashes, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-salamander.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thanks for the review Mark. I hope they will change their release schedule to once per year instead of every 6 months. The crashes are really annyoing...

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

dead link ?

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Works here.

5. 031

031 Registered Member

I just could not use Muon Discover; too slow and i always got stuck. Except that everything went smooth for me.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I actually found Kubuntu 13.10 the first version that did not crash on my machine, I had it in a VM for a week. Was less than impressed with some of the KDE software though, simple because for all the configurability they lacked functionality that I am used to in GTK/Gnome apps.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I had a very stable experiance with Ubuntu 13.10. It seems to me at least that 13.10 is more stable than 13.04. Althou, after 1 week of usage and tinkering around I did get few crashes. I really feel that if they spent extra 6 months fixing the bugs it would have been a very stable OS.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The problems with Akonadi and Muon segfaulting are nothing new for KUbuntu, unfortunately. I believe that this is more of a KDE problem, though, and it is also one of the reasons for the removal of Akonadi when compiling the KDE from sources after installing Slackware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.