KPF being discontinued

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mikel108, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

With Kerio Personal Firewall being discontinued and Sygate being bought by Symantec, it looks like ZoneAlarm will be the only free, updated, application based firewall left.

3. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Looks like I missed my chance to download 2.1.5. :( Does anybody know where else I can obtain it?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

kerio being discontinued doesn't mean it stoped right?

it just means that they are making a new version for december the 31st?

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

"KPF: End of Life December 31st 2005", would suggest they are dropping the product all together.

Reagards,

CrazyM

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Interesting news... thanks for the post...

8. chaos16

wats realy happend to kerio they just given up to kerio personal firewall and winrouter?

9. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

"We want to serve you better by ditching you as customers" - sounds like typical corporate bull. Though unlike another security vendor *cough* at least they're providing 4 months notice and offering support for a year afterwards.

11. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Maybe they shouldn't have made their free versions so good that there was less incentive for people to buy their paid version.

12. mem1

mem1 Guest

I agree with you Paranoid2000-one of the first thoughts I had after seeing the notice. While it is a problem for some to see Kerio go, at least notification to let the existing customers find alternatives, if they want them, has been given in an acceptable timeframe.

13. iminj

iminj Guest

It is rumored that MS Windows Vista will include an upgraded firewall with both inbound and outbound filtering capabilities.

If this is the case, Kerio made a logical business decision to stop investing its resources in a product line which is likely produce ZERO revenue in the future.

14. chaos16

its a shame i have started to use kerio and really like it its a shame that there wont be any more updates.

So will another company buy kerio or there is no new about that?

i wonder why pp wont buy kerio its not that bad.

if ppl would start buy kerio personal irewall more and more would they consider to carry on?

15. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

:D Maybe have something to do with it!

16. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Another issue is marketing. I don't know about other countries, but in the US, the only security software you see on shelves is Norton/McAfee and recently Zone Labs and CA.

The average Joe's don't go hunting down security software on the internet, like we do. They only really know what they see on store shelves and advertisements. Even without a good firewall in Windows Vista, unless you can get your product into the public eye(and that costs a LOT of money), you 're gonna have a tough time making money on it.

17. chaos16

well kerio should do it before its to late.

symantec does it mcafee does it kerio should sell it in shelves as well.

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well, nothing lasts forever, even software.
    I never used Kerio, but I have read alot of good stuff about it.
    Maybe it was too good for a freeware, like q1aqza already mentioned, who knows. After all most freewares are lesser good, than the commercial version.

Freewares are only developed to make a company and their software popular.
    The famous Spybot S&D is indeed freeware, but the commercial version isn't cheap either.
    Home users of freeware, have usually a job and they will choose for the same software at work, when it's good and companies have money enough to buy the commercial version. That's how it works.

I'm glad I sticked to ZoneAlarm Free and trusted my intuition.

19. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

It's a shame that Kerio is being dropped, and I'm disapointed that Sygate has been brought by symantec. Symantec already have a firewall in the form on norton, so I wonder whether they'll fold the best bits of sygate into that.

In regards to Vista, even if MS make a good firewall, I doubt it will spell the end to that market. I for one don't like all my eggs to be in one basket, and given MS’s past on security issues, flaws etc. It will take me a very long time before I really believe that I can trust MS totally.

Personally I feel it's the age of suites, where you can one package which does all, even NOD32 appear to be considering doing a suite. There is already one for zone alarm, and Kaspersky and many others. My only fear about this is that when you group things into one package, you lose something. When a package is dedicate to one task, it's often better than a package trying to be all things for all people. This happened with hifi's, where the separate units were far better than the all in one units.

Well that's my 2p worth.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Syncman9,
    I fully agree with you.

21. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

My day just gets worse... JUST moved to Kerio from Sygate!!!

Anything similar to Kerio/Sygate ease-of-use other than ZoneAlarm out there please anyone?

Thanks!

Fedorov.

22. chaos16

which firewall is most similar to kerio overall?

also kerio was the only one with the features HIPS & NIPS hopefully more firewalls use it as from now.

23. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Outpost includes protection like NIPS, as does Kaspersky Personal Firewall.

Intrusion detection requires relatively frequent updates, and is probably best done on an individual machine, rather than your desktop machine.

24. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Jetico firewall maybe, lots of extra HIPS stuff you would like.

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

´

I´m testing Netveda right now and it seems to be a good app. And it´s free. I like it so much that I have even put LooknStop aside for a while :)
    Dont know how similar they are to KPF and ZA, cause it´s been years since I used them, but Netveda is not that hard to learn (well everything is relative ;) ) But you have nothing to loose trying it.

Netveda

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.