Korora Project (Fedora 23 + codecs)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by keithpeter, Nov 14, 2015.

1. keithpeter

keithpeter Registered Member

Hello All

https://kororaproject.org/

I needed a quick install with all the codecs ready to go. Installed on a sandybridge i5 based laptop with Intel graphics, 3GB RAM, spinning rust hard drive and an Atheros wifi card for which there is a fully free driver. 20mins install, 200Mb of updates, everything seems to work OK. Snappy except for Firefox taking some seconds to load.

I've installed the Gnome variant: nice colourful theme, heavyish on resources. 2GB live DVD has a reasonable range of software including Audacity and VLC.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Nice distro.
    I used it for a few days,But went back to mint eventually.

3. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Are codecs the biggest difference between Fedora and Korora?

4. keithpeter

keithpeter Registered Member

Looks that way. There is a small korora repository configured, then the RPMFusion repositories (free, non-free) that people use to source the codecs on Fedora and then the Fedora base repos. The Korora repository provides what I think is rather nice branding (Gnome theme, icons, wallpapers), configurations &c.

I have Korora 23 beta installed on a laptop so I'll have a look at the config over the weekend and post more. They have a github account with source code at

https://github.com/kororaproject

I've been pointed Chapeau, another batteries included Fedora remix. Chapeau is Gnome oriented, Korora supports a number of desktop environments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.