Konqueror

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hogndog, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I was going to address this topic at the Linux Mint forums but due to the testing nature of the members at Wilders i brought it here instead. I'm finding Konqueror to be more than "just another browser" much more..

http://www.konqueror.org/

File manager
    Konqueror is one of the most advanced file managers for KDE. Thanks to the underlying KDE technologies it can transparently access FTP and SFTP servers, zip files (and other archives), smb (Windows) shares, and even browse and rip audio CDs.

Web browser
    Konqueror is powered by the KHTML rendering engine (and optionally Webkit) which means it supports the latest web standards such as HTML5, Javascript, CSS3, and others.

Universal viewer
    Konqueror makes use of the latest KDE technologies to provide you with a PDF viewer, an FTP client, a text editor, a spreadsheet editor, a word document editor, an SVN client and more without ever needing to open a separate application.

Customizable application
    Konqueror comes with a nice set of custom plugins such as an ad blocker, automatic web page translation, user agent switcher, automatic image gallery creation, shell command panel, and more.
    It is one of the most customizable applications available...Swiss Army Knife...

Even comes with The Konqueror Handbook..

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/applications/konqueror/index.html

Has anyone been using it, really using it, not just a install uninstall project? :)

tia..
    Hogndog

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i tried using it a few times.

one concern i always had with it is that it's a web browser who's also a file manager.
    so maybe some security concerns there...

it might be a good fit for some users.
    but in general i like to have different apps do different things.
    and not have a "one app to rule them all" kind of thing ;)

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

That looks a pretty decent web browser.:D

4. hogndog

I gave it a whirl on my XP a few years ago, and it didn't seem to behave properly, maybe a RAM issue at the time, that and perhaps a bug issue? The Ram has been added, i did that before i tried Linux, man what a difference! And the bugs have probably been ironed out..:ouch: I feel as you do moontan, normally i like each item separate, and yes maybe a security measure, but in Linux that was one of the attractions, little need for it, but that may change.. ;)

5. hogndog

That it does! From reading some material they mentioned a need for RAM, you might want to try it, but I'd do some reading first.. :D

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Thank you my good friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.