knoppix drag and drop start menu?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by chrome_sturmen, May 15, 2016.

1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

thanks to brian k for helping me with bibm, which has allowed me to install knoppix:
    any case - knoppix - i have noticed i cannot create a new folder on the desktop and then drag it to the start menu, is there a way to do this? i have normally used a customized start menu under windows

thanks*puppy*

2. inka

inka Registered Member

Which desktop environment? Is knoppix using KDE?

It's rare to find any linux desktop environment which natively supports "drop onto global menu to add an item".
    You might consider installing the "mystuff" app. Pin it to a panel of your desktop & it serves as a drop target for custom items
    http://kornelix.com/mystuff/mystuff.html
    Also the "docky" launcher accepts dragged folders. IIRC it doesn't show much labeltext though (so rely on hovertext or custom icon(s) for items placed on docky panel)

3. chrome_sturmen

do they make "classic shell" for linux? hehe
    under windows i got used to making a start menu like i wanted it - i don't really want one presented to me that i cant change

4. inka

inka Registered Member

You didn't answer: In Knoppix, which desktop environment are you using?

Most of the linux DEs do enable you to change/edit the global menu, it just won't be via drag/drop.

5. chrome_sturmen

Inka - thanks alot for your time - it's not really an issue at this point, I was just curious for the answer, part of the learning process I guess. In vms I have opensuse, manjaro, mint, lubuntu, so plenty for me to work on beyond worrying over the start menu right now :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.