kis6.0/shadow protect desktop/paragon problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    i have been testing out paragon on my old pc.
    the OS on it is windows 2000 pro SP4
    i have done alot of images and they restored.
    so i thought i would install two program to test it further.
    diskeeper 2007 pro and kis6.0 621
    so i used hot processing to create the images with paragon hard disc manager 8.0
    image created successfully and i used the check image integrity and it passed with no errors.
    so then i restored the image it rebooted in to a dos mode to restore the image.
    after the restore it rebooted and for some odd reason it wanted to run chkdisc so i let it.
    on stage 2 windows have to recovery hundreds of files and then it rebooted and loaded windows. at this point kis6.0 621 loaded but with file av,mail av and webav failed due to corropt signitures.

so i restored an old image and it restored fine.
    next i downloaded paragon drive backup 8.5 from my main pc and installed on on my test pc. once again i installed diskeeper 2007 pro and kis6.0 621
    image created successfully wth hot processing and verifyed fine.
    i restored the image and it loaded in to windows with kis6.0 modules failed again and when i opened any file it told me file corropt please run chkdisc.
    so i checked the event viewer and it there was alot fo bad reports about running chkdisc.
    so once again i restored back to the image earlier without kis6.0 installed and it restored fine.

so then i thought i would try making an image with shadow protect desktop
    so i installed it along with diskeeper 2007 pro and kis6.0 621
    it started to create the image but gets stuck on trying to create image by vsnap directly
    if i close down kis6.0 by clicking on exit it gets to the next section but doesnt show a percentage indercator or a mb per second indercator.
    so i stopped the backup.
    since i got the full evauation of shadow protect desktop i booted from the winpe recovery cd and started to make the backup from there.
    it started the make the image at say 8mb/s but suddenly told me it was doing 0mb/sec and would take 275845959458days 8 hours and 6 seconds to complete
    the percentage indercator was still ticking and completed in less than 2 minutes
    but it said it tool e.g.. 2858459494949days 9 hours and 6 seconds to finish.
    the image restored successfully and kis6.0 runs fine with no chkdisc problems.

i hope someone can do a test install kis6.0 on there pc and try doing a image of it with normal results and no weirdness.
    Hopefully grnxnm can help answer the reason for the sudden 0mb/s shown and the really mega long time reported to create the image.
    thanks in advance
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Sorry for your troubles but I have done successful images with SP and KIS6 bother installed and have restored image usccessfully. May be another conflict somewhere with your system. I use PerfectDisk as defrag on my system using Win XP SP2. Hope someone can hlep you sort it out.

Gary

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Maybe a conflict with Windows 2000, because i did try Shadowprotect together with KIS, Diskeeper 8.0 and Win XP SP2 and never had any problems.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Likewise have never had problems imaging with KAV, although if imaging in windows I do disable it.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it just gets stuck on the starting of it.
    maybe i will let it run and see if it completes
    lodore

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

an update
    as you can see the oparation started at 13:50
    i left it running
    it is now 14:57 and the status hasnt changed at all with no percentage progress bar
    lodore

Attached Files:

7. Peter2150

Hi Lodore

Ran a test to see if I had a problem.

I run on XP Pro Sp2. I downloaded the trial version of KIS which was build 621. Uninstalled OA, and KAV and install all modules of KIS. The imaging was done with ShadowProtect Desktop V2, just as you did.

Normally I disable KAV/KIS when I do any disk actify stuff like imaging, but to stress the test I left KIS enabled. Shadowprotect imaged the system with no problem. The restore was also perfect. So there isn't any inherent conflict between KIS and Shadowprotect.

Pete

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks peter
    strange that my old pc has a problem with 621 kis6.0 installed and diskeeeper 2007 installed on windows 2k pro.
    maybe its a problem with windows 2k pro sp4.
    i did also have paragon installed at the same time since i restored an old paragon image.
    i could restore an older image with kis6.0 installed and shadow protect desktop installed. the conflict could be with diskeeper 2007 pro.
    i can run some more tests.

9. Peter2150

Forgot to mention, I run Perfect Disk.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok.
    so the conflict in my case could be,
    diskeeper 2007 pro
    kis6.0 621
    windows 2k pro sp4 unlikely since i can do an image fine with no other programs installed.
    i might even reinstall fresh windows with just kis6.0 621 and see if that works.
    the cleanest image ive got has just paragon hard drive manager 8.0 installed.
    so paragon hard disc manager could be a conflict.
    so i will first restore the image with just [paragon hard disc mansger 8.0 and then install shadow protect desktop.
    if the image goes successfully then paragon isnt the problem.
    if it gets stuck paragon is most likely the problem.
    in that case i would reinstall windows 2k pro and re service pack it.
    back if it makes the image fine i will next install diskeeper 2007 pro and see if the image creates then.
    its just a case of working out where the conflict is.
    i hope the conflict isnt diskeeper 2007 since i use that on my main pc.

when i created an image with kis6.0 and diskeeper 2007 pro installed with paragon hard drive manager 8.0 the image created successfully using hot processing technology but after the restore it had tons of chkdisc errors windows successfully repaired.
    so i uninstalled harddrive manager 8.0 aand installed drive backup 8.5 and deleted the hotcore2.sys since drive backup uses hotcore3.sys
    tonight i will restore that image lets hope there are no chkdisc eerrors with it.
    then i will do the tests above.
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Since Ladore is unable to backup even from a winPE CD so it,s sure not an issue of KAV. Seems a drivers issue, just my guess.

12. Peter2150

I don't remember if you tried disabling Diskkeeper, but I would try an uninstall. Sometimes disabling doesn't.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i did backup using the recovery cd with kis6.0 installed.
    the image restored successfully to.
    but its just the amount of time it reported that is odd.
    it showed 8mb/s and like 3minutes remaining then suddenly it dropped to 0mb/s and said like 294858845845days remaining, 8 hours and 2mintues
    it still went at the speed it originaly told me which was about 3minutes.
    but the end time shown to create image was like 38457848484days and 8 hours.
    i just wonder what made it show 0mb/s and the crazy amount of time shown.
    even thou it did create the image succesfully.
    i still dont know why it cant make an image in windows with kis6.0 installed
    well that or diskeeper 2007.

but since my thread is also about paragon i got good news about that.
    i created an image with kis6.0 and diskeeper installed using hot processing with paragon drive backup 8.5 took around 4minutes to create the image and using the recovery cd the image restored successfully with no chkdisc errors and kis6.0 running.

so im gonna restore back to a basically empty image tomorrow then try to create an image with shadow protect desktop with paragon installed since its in the image. if it fails to create the image then the paragon driver could be conflicting.
    if it creates fine then i will install kis6.0 and retest and same with diskeeper 2007 until i find out what is causing the image not to finish.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.