KIS v7 Startup Issue...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Maji, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maji

Maji Registered Member

I'm not sure if this question has been posted before, but I am at my wit's end and, with Kaspersky's official forums being out of commission until tomorrow, I could sure appreciate some help right now. :)

Basically, my problem is this: whenever my computer starts up, the KIS interface opens up instead of simply remaining in the system tray as it had done when I first installed it. I tried repairing the installation, but the behavior continued. Finally, I discovered that, if I switched the run registry key from HKLM to HKCU, KIS starts as expected. However, this alternative leads to a perpetual "security alert" state in Kaspersky because its normal startup entry has been removed.

Is there some way to deal with this other than switching the registry keys as I have done? Thank you.

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

hello
    check the startup tab in msconfig. You should have more then 1 entry related to kis. uncheck all both one and reboot.
    you can enter msconfig through start/run.

3. Maji

Maji Registered Member

But wouldn't this make it so that KIS7 no longer starts at startup (I know the service will still start, but not the GUI/system tray icon)? I only see ONE entry in the MSCONFIG startup menu related to Kaspersky, and that's the entry I placed there myself because Kaspersky's original entry in HKLM was causing the undesired behavior. As I have said, if avp.exe is started from the HKCU run registry key, the behavior I mentioned originally is NOT displayed. Also, if I remove all run registry entries connected to avp.exe and start it manually, the behavior does not occur.

As I have said, I did a repair of the installation because that is what the official Kaspersky forums said to do to fix a similar issue in KAV6/KIS6. However, it failed to solve the issue.

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You can also try posting it at the fanclub forum. There are a lot of smart people there too. Please see my sig

What KIS 7 version are you running?
    Any other security software?

5. Maji

Maji Registered Member

I'm using the latest KIS 7 version (7.0.0.125) and am NOT using any other security software except for AdMuncher (this combination did NOT cause this problem to emerge initially, so I am ruling out AdMuncher as the possible culprit).

I'll take your suggestion and also post my problem on the forum you mentioned. Thank you.

6. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

A simple installation repair, maybe won't suffice. Uninstall KIS completely then boot into safe mode, run "KisKavRemove", reboot windows and reinstall KIS, in order to have a clean installation.

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You could also try the repair functions in your start menu

8. Maji

Maji Registered Member

As I said before, I did do this already. No effect on the issue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.