KIS Safe Money Can't Print

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

A bug in Kaspersky is the lack of ability to print from the Safe Money browser. Hopefully there will be a fix shortly. If anyone has a fix it would be helpful.

Evidently this problem does not exist in the Avast Safe Zone. I did not try it when I was testing Avast.
    Jerry

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Re: KIS Safe Money Can't Ptint

I would assume its this way as printing could be used to steal your data, this is especially true if kevin from the office is into espionage.

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Re: KIS Safe Money Can't Ptint

As you are in UK you will know that postage labels can be purchased via Royal Mail website which creates the label as a PDF document. It's something I use a lot and they print straight onto Avery labels unless you have purchased with the added security of Safe Money then you can't print them at all but it allows you to save the label to a file and then you can open the file with Adobe Reader and print it outside of Safe Money. Printing of PDF documents within Safe Money simply doesn't work even though Adobe Reader displays the label but when you click on print it says that nothing has been selected.

I have gone back to CIS at least for the time being while these glitches are ironed out or it becomes apparent that they are not glitches but design features.:rolleyes:

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I hope it is not a design feature or I will go to Avast. The Safe Zone doesn't suffer from that problem. I am on the trial of Kaspersky, and while I like its detection rate there is more than that.

Jerry

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I don't have a printer currently, so I'm firing blindly...
    Does printing work if you disable Application Control from settings, afterwards launch your Safe money protected browser and then try to print?

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know, but it would appear that it would detract from security provided.

I think I will let a more capable person explore it.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. 3x0gR13N

That's just a part of the troubleshooting process. :) Having a workaround with little to no security compromise is the main goal.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Check both KIS manual and their forums. As I recollect, printing is disabled by design. As mentioned previously, printing entails "screen scrapping" by design. This is something that you want blocked in a secure Internet financial security session.

Check with your financial institution. They might have the ability for you to create and download a .txt file for statements, etc. to the Safe Run shared folder. You can then move that file to a perm folder/directory on your HDD before shutting down the Safe Run session.

I also understand Kapersky is getting rid of Safe Run in KIS 2013. Don't know what will replace it; maybe something similar to what Norton IS has?

9. 3x0gR13N

Correct, but the protection can be disabled for specific programs. In this cases system services like Print Spooler and 3rd party printer driver which are unable to get access to the protected browser content.
    Sandboxing is completely removed, Safe money is improved compared to Safe Websites in 2012.

10. SLE

SLE Registered Member

The safe-banking mode contains sandboxing - but now only for the browser.
    The non-printing issue only appears for certain printers not for all. It was also there in past versions, where the KL sandboxing was available for more applications. The reason is that some print drivers can't work in the KL sandbox due to restrictions.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks SLE. I will probably switch to Avast for the computer that I do financial transaction on. It does not have that problem I have been told.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. itman

itman Registered Member

Or just install Sandboxie and be done with it. It is better than any of the AV sandboxes.

BTW - if you believe a sandbox will make for an ultra secure browser session, it won't. If you really want a secure connection, your need something on this order:

https://www.quarri.com/products/protect_on_q/poq-overview

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  13. 3x0gR13N

Safe Money printing problem should be fixed in the upcoming patch A for build 4190.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is an important fix to me.
    I wonder if I will have to reinstall KIS?

Regards,
    Jerry

15. 3x0gR13N

Once the patch is released it will be automatically installed via normal database updates, requiring a reboot afterwards. No reinstall necessary.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, again.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.