kis object ids.. how to remove..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i followed the instructions here and on other sites using the command line.. it did show them all in the comand prompt being "deleted" but i noticed i could run it again and again and it seem to just keep deleting the same things over and over without telling me there were none. i did this with uac turned off and run as admin for the cmd prompt.. so was it really deleting them or just looking like it was? and if so how the heck do i really delete them?? i had to turn off uac since it said even with run as admin access "acess denied"

im still running it but i may still remove it and i want to be able to get rid of these tags?? help me out here. thanks

2. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Buy a copy of SpinRite. It's the only way I've found to remove the IDs.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

zfactor,

I'm a little lost here. Are you saying that you've tried KIS, then completely uninstalled it, restarted, and you are now unable to remove the file object ID's that it created with the command line invocation of fsutil available in many locations?

Blue

4. zfactor

yes .. i uninstalled it and ran the command line invocation and no matter how many times i try it just seems to re-delete the same things over and over again.. it doesnt say anything has actually been deleted it just blows through all of the files and goes back to c:/ when done.. if i run the command again it does the same thing.

should i frrl they are gone? where do i check to see if they are gone. im going to re-install it but if i decide to not use it i want to now how i go about getting everything back to normal when i do.. this way i dont have to hunt later.. im gonna try it for a while longer though.

i also understand there are 2 different command prompts ? what are they and why is there a difference, i saw them on a forum online and now i can not locate them again. thanks again in advance.

5. zfactor

alsi had to turn off user account control to use the command prompt even if i offered admin priveledges to it the command line would not work.

6. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If you are using the fsutil command line procedure, this may aid you in your testing...

You can test a single file to see if it has an ObjectID with this command:
    fsutil objectid query 'filename'
    (no quotes around the filename)

If it has an ObjectID, you will see something like this:

ObjectID: 00df8fc5c6a6dc118a2c0012175b66c6
    BirthVolumeID: 5239f7f2e55d7040b71b08078803b019
    BirthObjectId ID: 00df8fc5c6a6dc118a2c0012175b66c6
    Domain ID: 00000000000000000000000000000000

You can delete a single ObjectID as follows:

fsutil objectid delete 'filename'

You can also use 'create' and 'set' with this command. This information is available by running help on fsutil objectid as follows:

fsutil objectid /help

7. zfactor

when using fsutil will it show more than the file name when deleting them? all it says as it pands down the list is the lcoations. it doesnt say deleted o anything like that..

8. dantz

dantz Registered Member

When you delete an ObjectID you don't get a message. If you want to see whether or not files have ObjectIDs, run the query command instead. (In the command string, replace delete with query)

I suggest you practice on a single file to see how it works. You can check to see if a single file has an ObjectID using this command:

fsutil objectid query 'filename' (but don't include the quotes, and use an existing filename)

If it has one, you'll see something similar to what I posted in my last post (four lines of ID information). If it doesn't have one, you'll see this message: "The specified file has no ObjectID".

If there is an ObjectID, try deleting it using this command:

fsutil objectid delete 'filename'

Then check it again using this command:

fsutil objectid query 'filename'

It should say "The specified file has no ObjectID".

You can recreate the ObjectID on that file using this command:

fsutil objectid create 'filename'

Then try to delete it again. (Hint: Use the up/down arrows to flip through your previous commands so you don't have to keep typing them in). Play around with these commands until you are familiar with the process, then go ahead and run the command-line procedure (but start with a 'query' first to see if there are any ObjectIDs present. Stop it with Ctrl+Break when you've seen enough)

You can press Pause at any time to temporarily stop the scrolling. Press any other key to resume scrolling. Press Ctrl+Break to stop the procedure.

edit: Anyone who is planning to use the fsutil objectid command should be aware that Microsoft has warned users not to delete or set ObjectIDs. Any usage of this command, and particularly the command-line procedure that walks through the entire directory tree, should be considered experimental, and I advise users to image their OS and backup their data before attempting this procedure.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/fsutil_objectid.mspx?mfr=true

That said, it appears that many users have run the procedure without ill effects.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  9. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I have SpinRite. What method do you use to remove the Object IDs??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.