KIS AntiSpy Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phasechange, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Anti-Spy KIS only... this is the only thing that KIS has over KAV that seams appealing. Does KAV have significantly less SpyWare protection?

Fairy

2. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

KIS Ant1spy includes:
    1.Anti-Phishing: that is a phising web pages blocker
    2.Popup Blocker: does what it says, not so good.
    3.Anti-Banner: blocks advertisements on special banners on the web or built into the interfaces of various programs installed on your computer. I dont really use this.:shifty:
    4.Anti-Dialer: Prevents dialing not authorized by the user.

The Anti spy module of KIS is not so important, it have nothing to do with spyware detection (it is the same in KAV and in KIS):)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

And to add to the list the famed "Anti-Hacker"....

4. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

A good configured AH and Proactive defense can be as good as many HIPS software out there :cool:

5. phasechange

I think I'm ok as....

Thanks for the break down...

1.Anti-Phishing -this bit would be nice but not essentail as I don't follow links to anything that involves my finances.

2.Popup Blocker -- happy with FF blocking

3.Anti-Banner-- I run Adblock on my PC to get rid of annoying stuff. This is only interesting to me as it blocks IE.

4.Anti-Dialer - I don't install diallers or use IE moreover there is no modem in my PC

Looks like a nice to have.

Fairy

6. phasechange

Yes I tried the firewall and it doubled by pings in CS from 15ms to 31ms. I tried maximum speed but still suffered. As I live behind a hardware firewall and have never suffered a breach I'm not convinced that theirs a need for this layer of protection so it's off on the demo at the moment.

I think the choice for me is likely to boil down to KAV vs NOD32 (my current AV) as KIS doesn't give me anything that I really need. The anti-phishing is nice but the next generation on browsers are improving this.

Thank you all,
    Fairy

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Spyware/adware detection is part of the virus definitions that are downloaded when using the extended bases. They are not part of the Anti-Spy module.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It seems very obvious that with your setup, you should just settle on Kav and forget about Kis IMO................if you settle on Kaspersky at all of course.:)

9. phasechange

You are as ever correct Don Pelotas.

10. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

KIS lags in many anti-spy features like:

1. Tracing cookies protection
    2. Registry scan.

11. phasechange

Are tracing cookies really a problem? I don't really understand the threat they pose. Anyone got a link to an explanation? I used to have firefox ask me for all cookies but turned this off as I got tired of it.

Fairy

12. Don Pelotas

No, they aren't just use a free app like http://www.ccleaner.com/ to clean them off regularly.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just to add , Firefox have an option to ask you to delete all temp stuff everytime you close it .
    IE 7 (now beta3) has similar function - only 1 button :D

(in other words ,I second that there is no need of cookie protection)

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Cookies are essentially text files that are used to recognise you the next time you visit the same website. They are useful as far as log-ins are concerned, like for forums and webmail as examples. Other cookies can be removed with programs such as that mentioned by Don. All my cookies are trashed bar those that matter.

15. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I found this web page to be an interesting read about the subject.

16. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Cookies are a threat to privacy according to antivirus/antispy vendors like:

1. Spybot
    2. Ad-aware se
    3. Panda platinum 2006.etc.

KIS anti-spy is not efficient to give satisfactory level of protection as they do not have tracing cookies protection and registry scan.
    Some registry keys created by malwares are very dangerous.....and Mr. KIS doesn't detect it at all...!!!

Anti-banner is also not good. It does not block the traffic received by banners and it only denies access to gif,jpeg,etc. files of the banner!:cautious:

The Anti-phishing has got many false positives and it cannot warn about suspicious sites.

Its always recommended to install a secondary security suite than to have only KIS.

17. phasechange

Thanks guys, I will do some more readimg on this subject.

On the matter of registry protection in KIS surely this only matters if malware is allowed to execute which is unlikely with one of the top 3 AVs.

As for registry protection does the reg scanning by S&D not suffice as a check? I image my boot drive every day so I can snap back easily.

Fairy

18. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

You can bet your ass your right on this :D

got AH backed up by my Belkin router with realtime addatives:

SSM
    A2 Personal
    Boclean
    Nod32
    GSS

and I'm positive that AH is a nice first defence behind my router!

19. Don Pelotas

Yes, you have nothing to worry about regarding "tracing cookies protection" :rolleyes: or the registry being left unprotected.:)

About adware scanners like spybot, you could also add the free version of Superantispyware and do not forget the registryguard in 6.0.;)

20. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

KIS pleases all my security necessities. :D :D :D
    I dont need a tracing cookies protection, just clean your cookies with ccleaner. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.