KIS 2013 Scan Schedual Problems...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lcrjames, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcrjames

lcrjames Registered Member

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 to KIS 2013 on my PC (windows 7, 32 bit).

I seem to be having a problem with the scheduling component for Full Scan and Critical Areas Scan.
    I can change it to my needs and KIS 2013 seems to save it, but if I reboot or even if I shutdown/restart the program it seem to default to the previous setting. (I want it to scan every Monday but it wants to scan every Mon/Wed/Thurs apparently!!)

Is there a fix for this?

I have also asked in the Kaspersky forum but thought I'd ask here too, especially after doing a lot of annoying research myself! :oops:

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

The problem is known. According to the upcoming patch C changelog, where the problem isn't stated to be fixed, your issue won't be addressed for at least several more weeks because it's of very low priority. Simply don't use "Every week" as a schedule. Additionally, scheduled scans are completely unnecessary from a security perspective- your PC is protected by the realtime protection components.

3. lcrjames

Thanks for the fast response, and a much better reply than what I got on the Kaspersky forum!! (was simply told the issue is known but no idea when will be fixed!)

Yes I am using the schedule via the "Days" option now, setting the full and critical scans to run every 6 days, where as with KIS 2012 before I upgraded I used to have the Full scan run every Monday and the critical area scan run every Thursday. As you can probably guess I'm not a wizz kid with computers lol, but that is interesting that you say "scheduled scans are completely unnecessary from a security perspective- your PC is protected by the realtime protection components." I guess like many normal users I simply set Kaspersky up to scan every now and then (twice a week) thinking this was best and left it to it!
    Do you think I would be better off to only have it scan say once a fortnight/month due to having realtime protection? I guess if you think about it, the default setting is "Manual" scan, but I like the idea of setting up the schedual scan because you can forget about it and let kaspersky do everything for you, ok yes it can slow the computer down but tbh this isnt an issue for me as I have a fast computer! :)

Thanks for your help!

4. 3x0gR13N

There's a scheduled-by-default rootkit scan (in general scan settings) which scans loading points/sensitive system areas for malware (not just rootkits) every boot and repeated daily, which lasts for a few minutes and isn't taxing on resources. That is more than enough for scans occurring on your system. Additionally, there's a scheduled Idle scan which scans your main system partition and runs when your PC is locked or a screensaver is active for more than 5 minutes.
    Even if you disable the above scans your PC would be protected as activity is always monitored by realtime protection.

5. lcrjames

Lovely, thanks for that, great reply!! :D

I just clicked on the little information button next to the idle scan option and it took me to the Kaspersky website explaining it! I feel kind of stupid for not looking into it more before! and now I guess that is why the default setting for full/critical scans are manual!!!

I'm obviously not worried about the schedule run mode "every week" now, but out of interest, how will I know when the fix is available? Is it something I have to implement myself (as I did for the known start up problem KIS13 sometimes has!) or will my KIS 2013 simply update itself during an update? (I assumed the update was for protection against new viruses only!) lol.

Once again thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! :)

6. 3x0gR13N

The fix will be downloaded automatically as part of the regular updates. Once the fix is downloaded it will be installed automatically after a user initiated reboot, and if the PC isn't rebooted within a couple days time KIS will only then notify you that a reboot is necessary to install its updated components.

7. lcrjames

Once again thanks for your help!! :thumb: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.