KIS 2012 and explorer.exe

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xxJackxx, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I am having an issue that I am trying to narrow down. It started recently on both my desktop and laptop and the only think I can think of that changed was added KIS to my system. Sometimes when I open Windows Explorer it hangs and draws a windows frame with no menus or contents, just a white background. I saw today running Process Explorer that when you launch an explorer window it opens as a child process of svchost.exe. On my work desktop (no KIS installed) this opens 1 copy of explorer.exe and after closing the window the process closes within about 30 seconds. On my personal laptop the process hangs until a reboot. If I open another window it creates another instance of explorer.exe that gets orphaned as well. This happens until it hits 5, then I get the problem with the hanging window and I have to reboot. Can someone else running KIS 2012 duplicate?

-Edit
    I may have found something... When you have selected "Launch folder windows in a separate process" in the Windows Explorer options it does this. If you uncheck that then this does not happen. Instead of launching another explorer.exe it launches a dllhost.exe that disappears within a few seconds. I don't know if it's a big deal or not. I can keep this setting if needed, but I recall seeing something about this a few years back and would not have suspected that the 2012 version would still be doing it. They should have their installer disable it if it is going to be a problem.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I would like to see if there is a solution to this problem also.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I doubt there is a solution. It is just likely the way their product works. On the up side I found that by disabling "Launch folder windows in a separate process" everything is MUCH smoother and more responsive. I had only been enabling it out of habit anyway. It did seem to help back in the '90s but Windows 7 is much better with it off. With or without KIS. It used to take forever to open up network places. Now it opens instantly. If you find it acceptable disable it. If you do not then complain to them that they are hanging explorer.exe processes. I'm good with it for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.