KIS 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quanzi_1507, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thathagat

thathagat Guest

does anyone else also has problem viewing youtube......with kis2010 ?

the whole video was d/l before it was played.....o_O normally it should start instantly....

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Working fine here

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

do you have web av set to high?

4. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

There is infact,
    click on activate trial version during install, disconnect any internet connections
    It will give an error, in that window you will find the option of installing through key..:p

5. thathagat

thathagat Guest

after much brain raking i found another way without re installing.....use this code...T6B6K-8YK22-VBQH7-ZUZJG....its invalid but it then opens the option to use your key file......i wish kis2010 had the original option of using the key file.............though

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I don't have the YouTube problem. That has been fixed, at least on my setup.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

What do people think about letting KIS 2010 make the decisions on its own? Is it safe?

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Not sure, Coolio, but I checked a full report and no network attacks are detected either. If there were, I would expect this to be one of the items on that button on the main-window as otherwise it might cause confusion. ;)

9. raven211

I think this should be safe as it takes the recommended action automatically. What has been seen, for example in a "review" by Matt Rizos is that the HIPS sometimes might make the wrong decision. It would place malware in "low restricted". This, according to 3x0gR13N, should still not be a problem, as, like I also recall, Kaspersky will still (obviously) check what that software is actually doing. Say that it logs keystrokes - then it will still be blocked.

Two questions for 3x0gR13N:

1. Does KAV/KIS take that action (e.g. keystrokes) automatically as well in 2010? I recall that it would still prompt, even if being in automatic mode, in 2009. :doubt:

2. Are the default settings for the Proactive Defense optimal?

10. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

How’s the impact on browsing speed compared to previous KAV v8?

11. raven211

According to people in this very same topic, the speed should be much improved and probably always is as it's still software in the testing-phase. Read the topic. ;) :D

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

In the 2009 version there was a difference in the HIPS functionality between XP and Vista. To do with Microsoft accreditation being withdrawn if you hooked certain processes in Vista I think.

Can anyone confirm if 2010 has full HIPS capabilities (ie all the same protection categories as XP)?

Thanks

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Yes, the sub-category numbers doesn't always equate to the total number, since Network attacks and Phishing URLs are not shown there, but are counted in the Total number.

1. The Automatic mode decisions is a bit touchy area... the truth is that many legit programs behave in a way similar to malware, so how can the program effectively decide if it should block the action or not. No program is intelligent enough to make that decision, some stuff will be blocked which shouldn't be, some stuff will be allowed which shouldn't be... I hope that you understand and see the fine line between some applications and some malware. Automatic mode is mainly designed for people who don't know much about computers... Usability above everything else... For ex. some legitimate programs are detected as riskware, Remote-admin and mirc as an example... what should be done, delete the program automatically, causing user frustration? They are both legit apps, but can be used by malware authors to gain access to the PC... What about adware in freeware programs? Many of them don't work at all if the adware component is deleted (for ex. Spybot S&D warns about that...). They also belong in the "Suspicious" list (in the "Do not delete suspicious objects"), so the program won't automatically delete such programs, instead it will display a yellow warning triangle in the tray, and log the files under active threats, where the user can delete them or keep them if he needs them. Basically the same can be applied to keyloggers and other "proactive" events... but here the variable is also the precision of the heuristic detection of application behavior. The application can detect a keylogger, either "real" ones or in some legitimate applications (games etc.), and AFAIK if the heuristical/behavioral verdict is precise, it will block them.
    As I mentioned somwhere earlier, I don't know much about automatic mode, so I may be wrong.
    If you want to pass leaktests, Interactive mode is the way to go.. if you can cope with popups.
    I still recommend keeping "Do not delete suspicious objects" enabled.
    2. The PDM options are optimal, you needn't worry about them. I'm not sure what are the options which are enabled by default in KAV, as it has an extended PDM detection list, but you can safely enable them, and if some problems arise, disable them.

Vista users (not one of them) reported better proactive protection, but still not on par with XP AFAIK. How it's done, I don't know... :p

14. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Speaking of heuristics. In KIS 09 the file av heuristics were off by default. In KIS 10 the heuristics are on light. Is there a reason why it is on now or why it was off before? Hopefull this will bring detection up on tests.

15. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks, I assumed so as Kaspersky no doubt want to ensure Microsoft accreditation for this version as well. Us poor old Vista users will have to find something else to compliment it to get full cover.

Cheers

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

ok, you have me interested. Question. Under Safe Run Applications it shows IE. When I click on the IE icon in it IE pops up with a green border around it. But, when I just click my IE icon on desktop, no green border. So is the only way to have it sandboxed is to open the GUI each time and go to My Security Zone.

17. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Right click the IE icon and select "Always run in safe mode" and you'll get the desired effect ;)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

damn nice suite.:thumb:

20. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Can pass CLT 340/340 if configured manually (with different rulesets etc) and it passes all AKLT apart from directX under vista AFAIK. Guess there is still room in the API for adding new features :)

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have been playing with it all afternoon. Sandbox, HIPS, this is the best suite ever created. The sandbox is what now puts Kaspersky about 2 miles ahead of all the rest. Maybe next year, In-the-Cloud detection to cut down on the sigs, but right now, I am totally frigging amazed at what they have done.:)

22. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Does anyone have any problem activating the technical release build of KIS 2010 with keys they bought from Systweak a couple of years back? KIS kept saying my key was for an incompatible product.

Thanks.

23. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that KIS09 had Kaspersky's newer engine and the heuristics had some major development and rollouts planed for after KIS09 was released, so was disabled by default to reduce effects of mass problems (if there were to be any), eg, FPs, crashes, performance impacts etc.

Now the heuristics have been rolled out and proven there are no problems with them, Kaspersky is more confident to have more users using it.

Its the standard way to do it to minimize the effects of messups which are more likely in early stages... sort of why many businesses never upgrade to brand new software as soon as its released.

Again, just my presumption.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

My friend, if I remember correctly, a OEM license will not work until it is a RC, or released completely. I remember that from the Systweak stuff. I really like this suite. Sorry Joe, but time to take a hike.:cautious:

25. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Thanks my friend. I will patiently wait until the final release. For now I am using the 30 day trial while trying to figure out why the little untrusted applications counter on the system tray icon of Defensewall keeps going up after I launch IE8 when KIS 2010 is running.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.