Kingsoft Office Now Lets You Save in DOCX/DOTX/DOCM/DOTM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

2. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Only the Pro version has the docx capability (9.1.0.4256). The free version (9.1.0.4246) does not. The Softpedia link is incorrect. It's showing info for the Pro (4256) version but the actual download is for the Free (4246).

Wish it was true though. :( .

Later...

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its NOT necessary to save documents in the proprietary Microsoft Office format. With the Open Document Format and Open Document Text standards, you SHOULD be able to open work in ANY Office suite that can view the open standard extensions. The latest Microsoft Office in fact does this natively. :thumb:

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can the free version of KSO open files with the DOCX extension, and even if it can if you make changes you then have to save the files to a different format. Why not use OpenOffice or LibreOffice that already have this capability?

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Being a minimalist, for me, it's the install size. But I don't know yet if the 100-150 MBs that I'll save will be worth the aggravation versus using LibreOffice.

I have Kingsoft Office 2013 Free installed presently. We'll see how it goes.

Later...

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'd be interested hear if KingSoft Office 2013 Free can at least open files with the new MS Office extensions. I also find the large installer size problematic sometimes - 136megs for OpenOffice and 204megs for LibreOffice! - but being able to open MS Office files is essential.

8. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The point is that you should be able to use a common format across office suites. You shouldn't be tied down by a proprietary format! Its YOUR choice of what you want to work in - and if you use Kingsoft Office, you should be able to open your documents in it.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You can make that choice for yourself, but you still have to have a way to deal with all of the Microsoft Office documents that come your way. If you want to use Kingsoft Office 2013 Free then I guess you can open MS docs and save them in Open Document Format after editing(?) It can be tricky if you need to share documents with others. I don't know how well formatting is preserved going between MS file formats and ODF and vice versa. I think it's great that there are free choices. I use MS Office but only because I was given a copy. I wouldn't pay the exorbitant price they charge for it. Kingsoft Office Pro is affordable by comparison, but what does it offer over Apache OO or LO?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im honestly not a fan of kingsoft office. i have tried to like it and while i love the interface far better than either libre or OO i actually had more problems with it then either of those. i just really wish there could be some new style toolbars and or skins for libre and OO and im NOT talking about he stupid libre thing where it lets you use firefox ones. they dont actually change anything and only add a very small portion of the firefox picture that you can barely see and something if to dark you cant see the libre text. this is hands down where kingsoft shines for me.when i show it to people it has a similar feel to ms office. but otherwise im still not impressed.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So speed, hard drive space, and better M$ Office compatibility aren't worth more than the interface to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.