Keypad trouble Thinkpad E540

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zapjb, May 12, 2018.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Keypad trouble Thinkpad E540

My passwords weren't working. Tried different sites same.

So one of # keys isn't registering all the time. Thank goodness for dedicated number pad.

Think changing the keyboard will solve this?

So far a few sprays DustOff electronics duster is working.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Replacing keyboards can be a pain.

There's probably just something jamming the switch. Maybe try vacuum too. Gently at first. If that doesn't work, maybe you can pop the key.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It could just be a cookie or potato chip crumb, or hair and dust. With the notebook fully shutdown, you can try turning the notebook upside down and gently tapping it against a solid table edge to hopefully dislodge any debris. Then, while still upside down, hit it with your dusting gas. If you have access to a real air compressor, that would be better. Just make sure it is equipped with a suitable inline moisture and particulate filter - essential when cleaning electronics (or air-brush painting birthday cakes or faces).

When using a vacuum, you really, I mean REALLY need to be careful about ESD. Air and dust molecules banging into the nozzle can cause a large build up of static electricity. You don't want that discharging through your notebook. With PCs, I recommend wrapping your hand around the nozzle end and planting an extended finger onto the bare metal of the case interior to keep the static at bay. Not sure what you can do with a notebook when cleaning a keyboard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.