Keyloggers?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Davidking, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidking

Davidking Guest

I Have recently had a nasty keylogger on my computer :'(

I was just wondering CAN IT SEE EVERYTHING YOU TYPE, or is the exeptions... like when u type in lets say a Java chat room or when u type in microsoft word...? Things like that ? Ne ideas?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Keyloggers can see EVERYTHING you type...'keystroke logging'

Keystroke logging is a diagnostic used in software development that captures the user's keystrokes. It can be useful to determine sources of error in computer systems. Such systems are also highly useful for law enforcement and espionage – for instance, providing a means to obtain passwords or encryption keys and thus bypassing other security measures.

Keystroke logging can be achieved by both hardware and software means. Commercially available systems include devices which are attached to the keyboard cable (and thus are instantly installable, but visible if the user makes a thorough inspection) and also devices which can be installed in keyboards (and are thus invisible, but require some basic knowledge of soldering to install). Writing software applications for keylogging is trivial, and like any computer program can be distributed as a trojan horse or as part of a virus or worm.

The FBI is known to possess a trojan horse-delivered keylogger program known as Magic Lantern. It has used a keystroke logger (perhaps this one) to obtain the PGP pass phrase of a suspect in Philadelphia. He was convicted.

(From Wikipedia)

3. controler

controler Guest

4. One way to beat keyloggers is to use the MS on-screen keyboard, this will beat all hardware keyloggers. You can use it when inputting any sensitive passwords or other sensitive data like creditcard numbers ect.., all for FREE. But it won't protect you from the screen capture abilities in some software keyloggers.

To beat some software keyloggers that have screen capture abilities, you can always use a password manager like Roboform, a FREE version is available too. Roboform can also be run off a usb thumb drive, excellent for portability.

A couple good programs for finding software keyloggers are Spycop (no more free trial) and Security Task Manager (has free trial). Both seem to do quite well in my tests against software keyloggers, but remember there is no software program that can detect hardware keyloggers, that's why it's good to remember the password manager and MS on-screen keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.