Keyloggers and mice

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Long View, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

are there any known keyloggers that can read data entered by mouse ?
    I'm not worried about keyloggers staying on my system as I use one of various types of freeze so at reboot they would be gone. I use Roboform to enter account numbers, passwords, and credit card details. The main security issue would appear to concern entry of the master password which is done by using the mouse to click on a virtual keyboard. I'm assuming that any existing keylogger would be unable to record this and that some other type of threat would have to exist to be a problem. any thoughts ?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm sure malware could easily record what position the cursor is at when clicked however, making use of the co-ordinates would be another thing. Hopefully your virtual keyboard changes positions to avoid this problem.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Virtual keyboards are defeated by screen capturers :)
    Currently, few banker trojans use this method.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks to both

The virtual keyboard does not change positions - I suppose I could always drag and drop it to a different location.

I have vague memories of reading about screen captures. The interesting bit is that few use this method. certainty is not an option and taken together with diminishing marginal returns suggests that a very basic protection is optimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.