Keylogger Hunter 2.0 won't run?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BlackSwan, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

I've been using Keylogger Hunter 1.0 for a few days (OS is Win XP SP1) and just heard the latest version is out. I downloaded it, uninstalled the previous version and installed the new one. Well, when I click on any of the programme's shortcuts, all that happens is a small icon appears in the system tray, offering an option of buying the prog or giving the registration code. Nothing else.

On the download page it states the programme is "try before you buy", but it doesn't say it has an expiration date or that previous installations of older versions count as if you've already used it for some time. If such a thing happens, then how is someone supposed to "try" the newest version of the prog and compare it to the previous one? On the other hand, that may always be a problem specific to my computer.

After uninstalling the latest version, I tried reinstalling the previous one, and it worked flawlessly. o_O

I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. :)

Thanks,
    BS

2. BlackSwan

Okay - scratch that. It looks like the latest version is supposed to work in the background, blocking potential installations of keyloggers. This info must have been added to the page very recently, because it wasn't there a couple days ago.

It would be nice, however, if the on-demand scanner of the previous version were included in this one.

Sorry for any inconvenience. :oops:
    BS

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

THere's no inconvenience to anyone - and keep in mind that somone may later search these forums with the same question and find your posts, which will give them the answer. ;)

4. BlackSwan

Thanks, Detox. :)

BS

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

For those interested in this product, please be aware of the following two things copied and pasted from their web page:

"Pay attention:

- Keylogger Hunter is only for Windows XP, 2000 & NT!

- Kernel based keyloggers are not blocked by Keylogger Hunter 2.0, only Hook based keyloggers are blocked (i.e. 80-90% of keyloggers are blocked)"

My own (admittedly short) familiarity with the program ended when the 1.0 version totally missed a keylogger that a bunch of us were playing with a while back. (I decided I didn't really need it after that). Pete

6. BlackSwan

Thanks for the additional info on KH missing stuff, spy1. This is something to be seriously taken into consideration. I don't have particular reasons to worry about keyloggers being installed on my PC (I'm the only one having access to it, never open any attachments in e-mails etc or visit any dubious web sites) but you never know what happens no matter how protected you are.

Of course, I realise it's not easy for a programme to catch ALL baddies that exist, but it should be able to do the basic stuff it's been designed to do. Anyway, as I said I don't really think I'm in danger of being infected with this kind of baddie, and so if I were to choose between the previous and latest interfaces of KH, I'd definitely prefer the older one. I'd like a programme of this specific kind to be able to run on-demand as well, and not just silently, so I can have some control on how it works and what it catches.

Thanks again.
    BS :)

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.