Keyboard or Hardware issue [formally - BIOS VIRUS]

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bob2006, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob2006

bob2006 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am trying to type something in notepad or any text box but the problem is charcters(-, / ) are typing automatically.

I deleted all partitions and formated harddisk and installed windows xp several times but i am getting this problem. is it virus related to bios?
    do i need to contact laptop vendor(gateway) or any efficient tool to fix this problem?

Please help me to fix this problem.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: BIOS VIRUS

Is sounds more like a faulty keyboard than a virus if you have reinstalled Windows and are still seeing the problem.

Cheers :D

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Do you have the numlock on?

4. gnervt

gnervt Registered Member

HRHR :D (nice one)

5. bob2006

bob2006 Registered Member

Hi friends,
    it's not keyboard problem.
    for exampale i want to type letters abc, but --cba---- is typing automatically. in address bar searchsearchsearch the aboveletters typing continously.
    when i swith on my laptop it's making lot of noise.
    sometimes it's not allowing me to select anything in dropdown. i want to select country us but values in dropdown changing contionusly. I found this problem while i was installating windows xp(recovery cd). it didn't allow me to enter computer name also.
    Please help me to fix this problem,
    Thanks,
    Bob

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Not really a NOD32 issue is it !

So how did you manage to type in your XP product key when you said that you reinstalled etc XP several times o_O

StevieO

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi bob2006, welcome to Wilders, as your issue is a Keyboard or Hardware related issue I have retitled your thread and moved it here where it should receive better attention.

Cheers :D

8. ConstantLearning

ConstantLearning Registered Member

I am no expert, simply a basic home user who has damaged several keyboards along the way - so these are just a few thoughts that may or may not help.

Have you by chance turned on the accessibility features that XP has such as a rapid repeat rate, sticky keys, use keyboard as mouse, onscreen keyboard etc ?

Just thinking this could play some part in your issues perhaps.

If not, sorry for wasting your time but perhaps they could be turned on by default on your recovery disk ( or not ).

Another thought is: if you have a strong emg field next to a computer it can have some strange side effects along similar lines. I discovered that when using a particular powered wheelchair + my desktop pc and USB cordless keyboard, turned the chair off & problem vanished.

Cleaning the keyboard can be very useful I found when I kept getting repeat keystrokes before touching the keyboard fwiw. When that didn't work, replacing it certainly did.

Good luck with your problem & hope you get it sorted out asap.

CL

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have to agree that this sounds almost definitely like a hardware problem. If it was a malware issue, you wouldn't be experiencing this outisde of Windows (including during Windows install). This is almost exactly what happens when you have a shorted out keyboard, such as a spill (although not limited to spills). I also agree that ConstantLearning's suggestion could be a possibility as well. Try taking the laptop to another location first.

That is definitely a hardware issue.

If I were you I would back up all the data on the laptop asap, and take it to a shop.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Not sure why that was funny.. laptops don't have number pads, if you have the numlock on (or hold down the function key) the right most letter keys will type characters from the number pad instead (at least on some laptops).

11. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi Bob,

What you must always do in a situation like this is eliminate the most obvious source of the problem. In your case... the keys are not responding correctly to the ones you are pressing... hence the most obvious item to eliminate from your fault finding project here is... the keybaord itself.

I would guess that your laptop boots up as normal and sits on the desktop as normal with no spurious key activity as long as you are not trying to type, and then when you do press certain keys... they are not being coded as the ones you would like to see appear on your display... but certain others are.

So... let's assume this is the case for a moment... and now let's assume that your laptop has a usb port.

All you need to do is obtain a usb keyboard... plug in... and see if you get normal key activity once again.

One of two things will happen... either the keys will now display correctly or the exact same situation will still be with you... with wrong characters on screen.

So then... you will know for sure... elimination process complete.

It would be good if you could borrow such a keyboard from a friend to do this test... failing that... pop into your nearest computer store with your laptop and ask the assistant if he or she would allow you to plug one of their keyboards in whilst you do the test... it will only take seconds.

If it is the keyboard... then you can try and see if there is water or soft drink ingress... a good drying out will often fix such problems... use a warm cupboard... we call them airing cupboards in the UK... they are used to keep newly washed laundry items nice and warm til required and are perfect for such drying tasks.

If it can't be fixed this way... see if there is a ribbon cable issue (if you are able to open the laptop) as otherwise you are looking at a replacement keyboard... a usb one could then be used if you have plenty of spare ports... that shop assistant will be pleased to sell you one and they are not too expensive these days.

If the keyboard is not the problem... as you suspect... then you are looking at motherboard problems... something will no doubt be wrong with the chips that encode the keystroke matrixed data... and then we have a whole new ball game.

If you can do all this... please report back... it would be great to help you get this problem sorted as soon as possible with you doing this test.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya! I think it is infact the first thing to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.