Keyboard key problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Osaban, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    I have a 6 years old Compaq Presario notebook still working well except for at least 2 keyboard keys which don't respond unless I hit them repeatedly. Is there anything that can be done (one of them is the letter H which in English is very common) and as you can imagine it makes it time consuming to type any message or e-mails.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

You could move to the Galway area in Ireland as the 'H' sound doesn't exist in Gaelic.

If that is not possible, then what I usually do is to remove all the keys and thoroughly clean all the pads etc removing any accrued dust/gunk. Sometimes the spring or equivalent has dislodged from correct location too. This works nearly every time for me.

Edit: If you choose the Galway option then go see Fungi the dolphin who lives in Dingle Bay and lets you swim and play with him :cool: :D :cool:

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

LOL the first suggestion is funny. I have keys not workong on my sons acer netbook less then a year old its very annoying for everyone that use it.I feel your pain though.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

So instead of saying hey do they say A

5. cozumel

So dey do I tink

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Tanks! I've googled it, and it also suggests to remove te key and clean it. I'm a bit esitant about removing te key toug. Is it an easy ting to do?

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If you make the 'H' sound near the dolphin he's going to think you want to cook him for dinner. Might want to be a bit careful.

8. cozumel

Yes, it is easy. You just need to take care when removing the keys as it requires only a tiny bit of pressure to be applied.

Laptop key installation video (choose your exact model)

Video of guy removing & replacing keys on PresarioThis gives you the general idea but he uses too much pressure and you risk damage or loss of parts when they go flying away over your head or out the window lol.

Generic method of laptop key removal videoThis is the method I use. See how little pressure is required. Note the finger resting on top of the key with the other hand

The reason I suggest removing all the keys and cleaning is that if dirt is under two keys then it is likely everywhere else and will cause problems a little later. Might as well do them all in one go.

Good Luck

This instructional post has been issued by the Tourist Board of the Republic of Ireland - The Emerald Isle

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks a lot! You must be one of those guys very talented at telling Irish jokes!

10. cozumel

You're welcome dude. And don't really do ethnic jokes. I just make things up as I go. Anything for laugh to make the day pass quicker. People forget to have fun and I kinda remind them. I even hide in cupboards at work and jump out on people passing lol :D My CEO (a lady) jumps a mile every time!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.