KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING_EXIT???

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Baldrick, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there o_O

For the first time since installing any version of PG3 I decided to carry out my usual clean & repack of the registry on my PC. Having used the three utilities that I always use to carry out the cleaning (and have done for the last 2 years) I then tried to compress the Registry using the RegPack feature in WinRescueXp (again, which I have used for a number of years successfully). The result, when automaticlly rebooting was a blue screen and the following message:

KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING_EXIT

I have investigated this on the web and at

http://www.sanx.org/stopCode.asp?stopCodeRef=22

I found the following info, amongst other technical information that I won't bore you with:

"If you ever see this error, be very suspicious of all drivers installed on the machine — especially unusual or non-standard drivers."

This has led me to suspect that PG3's protection may be involved as I have not tried running the RegPack functionality in Learning Mode and therefore was wondering if the cause is that PG3 is preventing WinRescueXP from doing its 'thing'.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice they can offer before I switch Learning Mode back on and try to get it to 'accept' this behaviour?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Best regards

Baldrick :rolleyes:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Baldrick, Process Guard does have some protected registry keys.

There are two possibilities that you may like to try before running such utiilities.

Safety first. Create a restore point.:) or a disk image.

Disable ProcessGuard - Run your utilitiy

or Run your utility in Safe mode. Pressing the F8 key rapidly just before windows starts loading but after the intitial BIOS checks.

Either method will stop ProcessGuards service from running.

HTH Pilli

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Pilli

Hope that you are well?

Thanks for the reponse. I have tried disabling PG3's protection from the system tray just before trying to run the RegPack Utility but that does not seem to help. I suppose that next time I will try disabling before I run any of the Registry Cleaners I have, although I assume that I am not the only one who uses this sort of utility and therefore not the only one who would suffer from this problem. So I believe that it is in fact the RegPack utility that is the culprit.

Having said that I rebooted after the blue screen and Windows started normally and when I checked the RegPack Utility it informed me that the last run of the function was (i) today and (ii) had reduced the Registry size by 616Kb.............and so appered to have worked nonetheless.

Perhaps what I will do is to try running the RegPack Utility by itself without any prior cleaning having taken place.....whcu should indicate whether it is the cleaning processes or the packing that is the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I will advise if I come to a conclusion on this one.

Best regards

Baldrick :D

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Baldrick, I am fine thanks :)

Some registry cleaners do not do their clean out or compression until the PC is rebooted.
    I shall try a couple of reg cleaners today and see what results I get :)

Thanks for reporting back. Pilli

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I tried Regpack with ProcessGuard and did not experience a crash. It ran fine and rebooted fine with no issues. Not conclusive results but the issue may be elsewhere. :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi, I have used Vcom's registry fixer with all my normal apps running and deleted 56 errors, in the past I have tried other cleaners all of which appear to find different problems, this is probably the way of reg cleaners but I am happy enough with VCOM's. Which has many useful tools most of which can be "reversed" when used.
    There were no issues after rebooting.
    I also ran VCOM's registry defragger, this reuires all app to be closed which I did including the PG GUI but did not disable the service so it was still running, this defrag process requires a restart, due to this process at boot up procguard.sys failed to start, probably because of the reg defrag operation, one more reboot and all was well again.

The utilities used are from VCOM's System Suite version 5.0.3.3 (updated at the weekend)

It will be interesting to see what Jason reccomends for these type of utilities, should we disable ProcessGuard or what?

HTH Pilli

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Reg Organizer from ChemTable software. I have never disabled anything when I run it. I suspect one reason it doesn't have any problems is it calls windows Regedit to do the cleaning.

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I don't think you would need to disable ProcessGuard when "fixing" the registry with most utilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.