"Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by strugz, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strugz

strugz Registered Member

I'm new to TrueImage 7.0 and have been having trouble using boot CD/floppies created with the trial version. The error I get is "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!". Nobody else seems to get this error.

I have tried pressing F11 (continuously) to get into the menu I have seen people mention, but it doesn't work. I have no opportunity to change any settings before the error so I can't try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I like TrueImage but it's useless to me unless I can get the bootable media working. :(

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

3. strugz

strugz Registered Member

Not the same error. That one is "No init found", mine is "Attempted to kill init". I am 100% certain it's nothing to do with my hardware or my boot media.

Any other ideas?

4. beenthereb4

I am 99% certain it will be either a hardware defect or incompatability. Remake your boot CD and choose the "Safe" option this time, that may work. It will narrow the possibilities.

5. strugz

strugz Registered Member

I'm 98% certain that you're right. ;)

I have made 3 CDs and 2 sets of floopies so far, but I'll try and burn again at a low speed and see if it makes a difference. I assume that the 'safe' option will be presented in the boot media wizard...

6. beenthereb4

Yes, it is.

7. strugz

strugz Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have a go at getting it working later today...

8. beenthereb4

If that does not work, try unplugging every external device that you can before booting. (Like firewire, usb, etc.)

9. strugz

strugz Registered Member

I managed to get it working with the 'safe' CD, but it mixed all my drive letters up because I have both IDE and SATA drives. I should have C, D, E and S on SATA and F on IDE, but instead I have D, F, G and E on SATA and C on IDE. Probably doesn't matter but I'd rather have the correct letters assigned, if only for peace of mind...

10. beenthereb4

Still .... You win!

11. strugz

strugz Registered Member

Yes, winning is nice :D

I think I'll wait a while before I buy, maybe then the compatibility issues will have been fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.