Kernel Dump or Complete dump for BSOD Investigations

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Helm_local, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Hi,

I have a PC recently sufferring intermittent BSODs (no new software or hardware added RAM tested OK). I read up how to debug the mini dump logs and was told that the entry next to MODULE_NAME and IMAGE_NAME gives a clue as to the offending process/file that caused the BSOD.

In most of the instances eamon and eamon.sys were the two 'entries', suggesting the possible cause being ESS.

Reading other threads on this forum it appears that either the kernel dump or complete memory dump is required by ESET technical support to pinpoint the cause of the BSOD more accurately - since it may NOT actually be ESS that is causing the BSOD, just getting reported erroneously as the offender (according to Marcos).

My questions are:

Q1. If I set Win XP to record a kernel dump, does the MODULE_NAME and IMAGE_NAME information get recorded too?

Q2. I guess that a complete memoery dump log file will contain this info? However, I assume the file size will be much larger? Can anyone give an indication as to the size of kernel and complete dumps? 512Mb RAM installed.
    The mini-dump files are currently 92kb.

Many thanks
    Mike

Don't bother posting please - found the answer faster myself!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.