kernel debuggers

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by MC, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC

MC Guest

Does TDS-3 use "kernel debugger" technology?
    Symantec site says

"Kernel debuggers, which are sometimes used as programming tools, are incompatible with NIS, NPF, and NAS 2004 in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Running a kernel debugger may cause the computer to display a blue screen and stop responding or cause NIS, NPF, or NAS 2004 to be disabled.

Similarly, debug output viewers, which are also sometimes used as programming tools, are incompatible with NIS, NPF, and NAS 2004 in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition. Running a debug viewer may cause NIS, NPF, or NAS to be disabled"

(NIS is norton internet Security, which includes Norton Personal Firewall & NAV.)

If TDS does use a kernel debugger, does it use it to scan, or for execution protection?

thanks
    MC

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Why do you ask MC? using those other tools and experiencing the BSODs? You would be the first as thousands use several of those combinations with TDS.

3. MC

MC Guest

Jooske

Am a careful man.
    Am evaluating TDS on my testbed which runs NAV and ZA Pro. But if everything is OK, I actually plan to run it on my 'production' machine which runs NIS 2004, which is more 'sensitive' than ZA. My life (,income, remaining shreds of sanity) depend on my production machine, and so I will not take risks with it.

Hence the question. Also, I saw nothing on the "guide to what works" of anyone using NIS2004.

And after going through TDS3 for 1/2 a day, there seems to be a lot of stuff similar to Sysinternals (nice) ProcessExplorer, which is a kernel debugger and does causes crashyes in NIS2004.

Trust my caution does not breed derision.
    thanks
    MC

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Sysinternals Process Explorer isnt actually a debugger, but it does use a driver at kernel level and does some very intensive things poking around inside other processes. This could be just an otherwise normal conflict as they have been making a few changes with it. Versions older than 7.x most likely wouldnt have problems

TDS doesnt use a debugger and wouldn't have any conflicts with your software as far as I can see. Future versions should be similar, we are being very careful about compatibility.

5. MC

MC Guest

Gavin

Thanks. Plan to move it across in about 2 weeks as part of a scheduled 'mass update'. Will let you know if I have any problems.

MC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.